Regular Contributor

What is least expensive way to get Wifi in your home?

What is the least expensive way to get WIFi in your home? I am trying to help someone that has never used a computer, currently does not even have a television, uses a cell phone but not a smartphone.  He has a land line in his house .  His cell phone provider is Verizon.  This person is on a limited budget....  He is an avid reader.   I gave this person a Kindle Fire and will most likely offer him a tablet.  Would like him to be able to surf the net and stay connected to friends though email as well as use his kindle at home to read. 

I brought him to my house, set up his email etc and gave him his 1st lesson.   He is nervous but excited about the possibilities. 

Hoping others on the boards can help.

thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What is least expensive way to get Wifi in your home?

if his cell phone service is with verizon, i would have him go to verizon to see if he can package his internet service with his cell phone service and landline service. they are offering deals all the time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

No one here would be able to give you a definitive answer to that question. 

Your best bet would be to contafct Verizonj to see the cost of DSL service (which should include wifi).  This may be the best option since he already had a landlinle with tjem.

After that, contact the local cable company and find out the cost (it may be higher sice he has no TV).  The cable company, thoughj, may offer phone service which could end up being cheaper than Verizon.

Ultimately, you need to find out the installation charges and the monthly charges from both, then you will be able to compare and decide.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

if his cell phone service is with verizon, i would have him go to verizon to see if he can package his internet service with his cell phone service and landline service. they are offering deals all the time.

4G LTE service from Verizon is VERY expensive compared to wi-fi and the data is quickly used up (I know, trust me). NOT good for someone on a budget.

Wifi can be had from your local cable company for much less $$ with probably no data cap. They will try to get him to take TV as well of course, but he can insist he just wants wifi and it's pretty cheap.  $30/mo from Time Warner for example.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

What is the least expensive way to get WIFi in your home? I am trying to help someone that has never used a computer, currently does not even have a television, uses a cell phone but not a smartphone.  He has a land line in his house .  His cell phone provider is Verizon.  This person is on a limited budget....  He is an avid reader.   I gave this person a Kindle Fire and will most likely offer him a tablet.  Would like him to be able to surf the net and stay connected to friends though email as well as use his kindle at home to read. 

I brought him to my house, set up his email etc and gave him his 1st lesson.   He is nervous but excited about the possibilities. 

Hoping others on the boards can help.

thanks. 

Hi @pggoody,

The best thing is for him to do some comparison shopping between the different providers.

He could tell them what he needs service for-phones, Kindle, computer, etc.-and then they can tell him what they can offer him, and what kinds of service plans are available in his area, and what the costs are for those plans.

Keep in mind that the providers usually have introductory package rates, and then when the initial package is up, the costs go up after that, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

4G LTE service from Verizon is VERY expensive compared to wi-fi and the data is quickly used up (I know, trust me). NOT good for someone on a budget.

Wifi can be had from your local cable company for much less $$ with probably no data cap. They will try to get him to take TV as well of course, but he can insist he just wants wifi and it's pretty cheap.  $30/mo from Time Warner for example.

@Moonchilde

he doesnt have to switch his cell phone service ( he has a basic cell phone through verizon.). he needs to check and see if they have verizon services in the area for tv/internet/landline? it is difficult to determine then what would be the best option. verizon is good because you can bundle your cell phone (which he already has) and his internet (which they can set up in his home) and his landline (which they can switch over to verizon) into one bill.

he doesnt need 4GLTE service.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pggoody  Very nice of you to assist your friend.  May I suggest you also post this in the Electronics Forum.  

Honored Contributor

The cheapest plans are usually the ones with bundles. Stay with one provider for all services...tv, landline, isp and cell. A word of caution though. When I cancelled my landline phone service, my bill went UP for the rest of my bundle. They told me that's the way they keep customers from ditching their landline phones.Woman Frustrated

Frequent Contributor

I would also check with the landline provider for what kind of deals they may have. Some states have programs that help people with limited income obtain internet and cell phones at lower costs. Goggle for your area.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde

he doesnt have to switch his cell phone service ( he has a basic cell phone through verizon.). he needs to check and see if they have verizon services in the area for tv/internet/landline? it is difficult to determine then what would be the best option. verizon is good because you can bundle your cell phone (which he already has) and his internet (which they can set up in his home) and his landline (which they can switch over to verizon) into one bill.

he doesnt need 4GLTE service.

You're speaking of FIOS, which is Verizon's wifi. It's not available everywhere. The OP is looking for the cheapest option. IF FIOS is available in the area (it might not be), they should insist on using that as the price is $25-50 for internet, but Verizon will also encourage the use of 4G LTE, i.e. push it on you, so they need to understand the difference & that one is NOT good for someone on a budget.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all