Honored Contributor

What do you think about a Dr leaving his initials on an organ?

I can't understand why anyone would do this. He got caught, and is in trouble for it

Yesterday ,after my husbands medical procedure was over , the Dr came and spoke to us. He said he left a tattoo, on my husbands colon, as a marker ,to let him see a place he removed a flat polyp, a few years ago. I guess it was to let him keep an eye on it. That makes sense to me. I thought it was a prudent thing to do

But, this guy just did a "Kilroy was here", thing, on his patients. It sounds like a really bizarre thing to do.

I wouldn't trust someone like this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5175693/Surgeon-admits-branding-initials-patients-livers.htm...

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think about a Dr leaving his initials on an organ?

[ Edited ]

I admit not the smartest thing to do to serve your ego while you are healing a patient. 

But if it does no harm to the organ and no one ever sees it but the embalmer, I really don't see how you are truly harmed other than knowing it happened and feeling violated by someone's stupidity. 

All of us have idiots in our lives.  The doctor's an idiot, never use him again, move on with your life.  

Actually I would have more of an issue with the OR team that didn't report it the first time it happened.  They had to watch him do it.       

Honored Contributor

I don't want a Dr who is an idiot, harmless or not.

Honored Contributor

It's pretty bizarre but certainly wouldn't hurt them , so what difference does it make?

Honored Contributor

It made enough of a difference to some people that he was fired

I don't think a reputable person would do this.  It shows a lack of integrity to me

Honored Contributor

I just saw this on the news tonight. 

why a doctor would do this is bizzare.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a lack of ethics and he should have been fired. 

No one would use him for their doctor anyway. 

That's why these young doctors who have been caught acting badly on social media have lost their jobs.  No one wants to be their patient and the hospital doesn't need the bad PR. 

Career over for a moment of stupidity, arrogance, and entitlement.   

Honored Contributor

Once is stupid ,but he did it more than once. Who knows what he might do the next time?

He sounds disturbed to me

Honored Contributor

I think the article said he did it twice.  Stupid and stupider.  Now he's forced into retirement with mounting legal bills.   Sound like a perfect ending.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry, your instinctive reaction to such a breach of medical ethics is spot on.  It shows a lack of seriousness, and a bizarre kind of self-indulgence.  The patient's organ is not a masterwork of the physician's creation, ready to be signed with a flourish, like a Picasso or a Renoir.

Such a blurring of boundaries suggests an impaired sense of judgment.  Not to be trusted, indeed.