Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do peanuts and Coca Cola have in common?

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Sooner   Instead, it was Moon Pie and RC in my youth.  We did the Coke ( or Pepsi) and peanuts combo.  While I am showing my age, we also put crushed potato chips on baloney sandwiches.  

It has been many years.  

I still put potato chips on bologna sandwiches Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Never heard of any hillbilly I grew up with choking on it.  Must be genetic.  LOL!!!!

@Sooner 

You grew up in the South?  

Well, Hillbilly, Hick, Red Neck, or Grit, I never choked on it!

@Drythe LOL!!  I grew up in the intersection of the South, the Hillbilly area, and a touch of Southwest/Cowboy/ country.  The real Red Necks (oilfield tool pushers) weren't in my "neck" of the woods!  

But I have a lot of Southern, a little Hillbilly, and a lot of Southwest/Native American/Cowboy (big on cowboy!) mixed in.  Now is that a combination or what????  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Never heard of this before....

@DiAnne...I have been around for a long time and I never heard of it either.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

I remember going to the small country store and going to the cooler with the coldest glass bottles of coke. The peanut display was on top of the cooler. We would sit out fro t talking and enjoying this treat. If we had a lot of money we could get a moonpie or a pack of nabs.

I have not had that in a long time
Trusted Contributor

I had a boss who was from Texas and he always put peanuts in his Dr. Pepper.  

A chocolate Moon Pie & an RC was my guilty pleasure breakfast when my husband was stationed in Mississippi.  

I never put chips on my bologna sandwich but, I loved chips on my tuna salad sandwich.  

Honored Contributor

I remember this going on too.  50's I want to say.  Someone else said that too.

Trusted Contributor

We did that too,was good.

Esteemed Contributor

I first heard of this through the Barbara Mandrell song that has already been mentioned.  I soon learned it was a southern thing.  It never appealed to me although I've had a handful of peanuts and a softdrink as a snack many times.....just not together with the peanuts actually in my coke or pepsi.  

A couple of other mostly southern traditions I just don't understand are chicken & waffles and boiled peanuts.  However, I'm sure some of my normal (to me) midwestern food items are probably strange to those in the south and other regions of the country too.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

...don’t forget the Southern Comfort !  Hahaha

-----

Ah yes, another Southern delicacy!

Respected Contributor

That doesn't look appealing at all.