Honored Contributor

Re: What did you give up for Lent?

I gave up my usual breakfast, which I'd rather not say what I ate every morning.  But it was a huge sacrifice, tbh.

Last year I gave it up and didn't 'partake' in it again until June.

But breakfast has been a challenge the past few weeks, not good choices or not eating breakfast all at....

I'm just not a traditional breakfast person and what I've been eating suited me fine (and was healthy).

I've also given up dairy, thus a vegan again, during Lent.  I usually give up more during the Lenten season.

Meatless Fridays haven't been an issue with me for over a decade, but I have forgotten so many times and either made or packed DH meals with meat. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I gave up my usual breakfast, which I'd rather not say what I ate every morning.  But it was a huge sacrifice, tbh.

But breakfast has been a challenge the past few weeks, not good choices or not eating breakfast all at....

I'm just not a traditional breakfast person and what I've been eating suited me fine (and was healthy).

I've also given up dairy, thus a vegan again, during Lent.  I usually give up more during the Lenten season.

Meatless Fridays haven't been an issue with me for over a decade, but I have forgotten so many times and either made or packed DH meals with meat. 

@Lucky Charm

I was just talking about growing up with an RC mother, Fish On Friday.  I loved it and I'm so glad I am able to enjoy seafood.  I still serve it once a week, salmon is almost a perfect health food.

If you haven't tried it, you might like almond milk.  I get one that I love and it's only 30 calories a cup.  IMO it doesn't taste almondy, but it is delicious Smiley Happy  I have it every morning with Trader Joe's high fiber cereal and fresh fruit.

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

For Lent, I am reading a daily devotional on She Reads Truth website.

I was not raised observating Lent nor do I attend a church that observes. The readings are part of my daily, personal study during Lent this year.

Thank you for this website info. I love stuff like this! 

12 years ago my family gave up Catholicism for lent. And we've stuck to it! 

You are welcome! 

Super Contributor

Nothing. Lent is so old school.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm

I was just talking about growing up with an RC mother, Fish On Friday.  I loved it and I'm so glad I am able to enjoy seafood.  I still serve it once a week, salmon is almost a perfect health food.

If you haven't tried it, you might like almond milk.  I get one that I love and it's only 30 calories a cup.  IMO it doesn't taste almondy, but it is delicious Smiley Happy  I have it every morning with Trader Joe's high fiber cereal and fresh fruit.

Hi Noel!  I make cashew milk every 3 days or so in the Vitamix and use that to make a cold, uncooked oatmeal *dish*. 

Could never stand milk on my cereal--even as a kid.  So cereal was never appealing to me, especially for breakfast.

I really have to force myself to eat breakfast, I'm simply not hungry until maybe 2-3 hours after I wake up!

One cup of coffee and I'm happy.

What I gave up was unusual, but delectable and I had to really hold back and not go for seconds, or thirds, or.... 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Hi Noel!  I make cashew milk every 3 days or so in the Vitamix and use that to make a cold, uncooked oatmeal *dish*. 

Could never stand milk on my cereal--even as a kid.  So cereal was never appealing to me, especially for breakfast.

I really have to force myself to eat breakfast, I'm simply not hungry until maybe 2-3 hours after I wake up!

What I gave up was unusual, but delectable and I had to really hold back and not go for seconds, or thirds, or.... 

@Lucky Charm

My daughter never liked milk on her cereal, either.  It took awhile to find out she's lactose intolerant.

I'm tempted to ask what your favorite breakfast is, but I will restrain myself, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm

My daughter never liked milk on her cereal, either.  It took awhile to find out she's lactose intolerant.

I'm tempted to ask what your favorite breakfast is, but I will restrain myself, lol.

@Noel7--just didn't like 'soggy' cereal.  lol

One ingredient of my breakfast was *infused* with jalepeno peppers.Woman Wink

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Honored Contributor

I am not Catholic, but the Pope is so fabulous that sometimes it becomes appealing.  (I hope that comment is not taken as flippant.)

I am catholic in my tastes, however.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Lent.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Noel7--just didn't like 'soggy' cereal.  lol

One ingredient of my breakfast was *infused* with jalepeno peppers.Woman Wink

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Lucky Charm

OK, now I am officially impressed   Woman LOL