Respected Contributor

My beloved Dad would rake the leaves into piles... and he'd let us swing high, and jump off, into the pile of leaves. (of course scattering some)

...Now as an adult who rakes her own many, many leaves... NO WAY wld I allow kids to jump in my pile of leaves, esp if they didnt rake them!!

Whatta meanie I am!  Woman Wink

THANKS DAD!

Regular Contributor

Re: What'd u enjoy as a child?

On Saturday mornings, I didn't watch cartoons like typical kids.  The local station broadcasted "Charlie Chan Theater", and I was a devoted fan.

I was just thinking the other day that watching this as a child, the way he analyzed the facts and clues to solve the case is probably why I ended up with a career as a Systems Analyst.  I think I must have learned a lot on how to methodically approach finding a resolution to problems.

Never did like cartoons.  I thought they were a stupid waste of time, and never found them amusing.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn  Neighbors around us who had horses, and when I was able to ride them, I felt pure joy. My Mom called me "horse crazy"

Honored Contributor

When I think about how we did jump into piles of leaves when we were kids, it now gives me the creeps!  Spiders and bugs --- eeck!  

I used to love rolling around in the grass and looking for 4 leaf clovers.  I remember that I would spend a long time doing this and found quite a few.  We had a small hill in our yard and we used to roll down it also.  That's another thing that gives me the creeps thinking about all the bugs, spiders, etc. in the grass!!!

We also used to ride our sleds down that same little hill.  Such fun.  The first ride of the winter was scary but after we did the first one, it was a piece of cake.  Also enjoyed buidling snowmen and having snowball fights.  Mom had to drag us in -- we never wanted to come back in the house no matter how cold we got.

Also, I used to love sitting on the creek bank with my Dad with my bamboo fishing pole! Another --- ewwww!  There were snakes and other creepy crawlers around, but I didn't worry about it too much because I knew my Dad would protect me!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

<  Unfortunate cause, Deleted by User >

Regular Contributor

Down the street from me was an Italian family (the matriarch and patriarch  of the family). Every Sunday their adult children and their respective families would gather for the "feast". I would sit on the front steps of their house and you know the rest  -- I would be invited in to partake. YUM YUM -- I had no shame!! 

Super Contributor

My Mom loved to look for 4 leaf clovers and we did find a few.  Thanks for this memory!

Honored Contributor

Reading

Honored Contributor

When we lived in NJ and the kids were little we used (or DH did) rake the leaves into huge piles and let them jump into them.  The yard had several mature trees and there was a ton of leaves.  

Our children were in preschool at the time and we took some really cute photos of them buried in the leaves with only their laughing faces showing! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

When I think about how we did jump into piles of leaves when we were kids, it now gives me the creeps!  Spiders and bugs --- eeck!  

I used to love rolling around in the grass and looking for 4 leaf clovers.  I remember that I would spend a long time doing this and found quite a few.  We had a small hill in our yard and we used to roll down it also.  That's another thing that gives me the creeps thinking about all the bugs, spiders, etc. in the grass!!!

We also used to ride our sleds down that same little hill.  Such fun.  The first ride of the winter was scary but after we did the first one, it was a piece of cake.  Also enjoyed buidling snowmen and having snowball fights.  Mom had to drag us in -- we never wanted to come back in the house no matter how cold we got.

Also, I used to love sitting on the creek bank with my Dad with my bamboo fishing pole! Another --- ewwww!  There were snakes and other creepy crawlers around, but I didn't worry about it too much because I knew my Dad would protect me!

@AngelPuppy1 LOL!  Now I also think of all of those creepy crawlers in the leaves (and ticks!) but we let the kids jump in them so many years ago (I just didn't think of it then) and they had a great time!