Trusted Contributor

I live in AZ and today, after using an A/C that lasted well beyond it's time of 21 years, I got a new A/C today!   

The old one was on its last leg.   Summer is here and temps are in the 100's already.   It was working so hard to cool (but it wasn't too cool).  Plus it stayed on all the time, never cyling.

I have a brand new one and what a relief for sure.   I have to get used to the sound which is different, but it seems to be working great and hopefully will bring the electric bills down a bit. 

I'm still in "I own an old A/C" mode because when I adjust the thermostat to make it a bit cooler, I still think I need not to overload the system by turning it down a degree.  LOL! 

I hardly ever use the heater in the winter here, maybe on a cold morning, but an A/C is mandatory.  

One less worry.  I'd worry everyday coming home from work hoping the A/C was still working.   When they took off the older one it was ugly and so worn out and so big.  Nice to have a modern one now. 

Valued Contributor

Congratulations! In Arizona, a/c isn't a luxury, it's a necessity and it sounds like you got your money's worth with you previous unit. We put in a/c about 10 years ago and it's some of the smartest money we ever spent.

Enjoy your comfort in such a hot climate.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What a Relief

[ Edited ]

Enjoy. We have a 5 ton Trane and now your electric bill should go down because it will be much more efficient. I too live in Arizona and it will soon be running more than it's off but the electric bill should be better. Ours is only $120 on the budget plan and SRP for a 2000 sq ft house.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Enjoy. We have a Trane and now your electric bill should go down because it will be much more efficient. I too live in Arizona and it will soon be running more than it's off. 

@Meowingkitty 

Got a Trane too!   They say it's one of the best out there.   An old one just works so hard in this heat.  But 21 years, that's quite a long time for an A/C.

It was a Rheem.   I should do a commercial for them, if they still exist.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

What do you keep yours at in the heat?   I try and keep it at 78, will go down to 77 if I need it a bit cooler.   When they were programming mine, they ran it at 65.   It was freezing... I loved it, but would never go that low.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What a Relief

[ Edited ]

@Black Cat Back wrote:

@Meowingkitty 

What do you keep yours at in the heat?   I try and keep it at 78, will go down to 77 if I need it a bit cooler.   When they were programming mine, they ran it at 65.   It was freezing... I loved it, but would never go that low.

We keep the heat at 78 and the a/c at 79. We do have a Nest thermometer and if it gets to hot or cold we will up or down a degree for a few minutes. When it's 110 outside 79 feels pretty darn good. 

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Black Cat Back wrote:

@Meowingkitty 

We keep the heat at 78 and the a/c at 79. We do have a Nest thermometer and if it gets to hot or cold we will up or down a degree for a few minutes. When it's 110 outside 79 feels pretty darn good. 

@Meowingkitty 

79 does feel good at 110.  LOL!    I am counting down the days until October... 121 days to go!   It gets me through... I'm almost giddy when it gets below 80.  

Valued Contributor

I grew up in Los Angeles which is basically desert and even though I lived there, I never really got used to the heat. For a couple of years I lived in New York City and the summers were hell: hot and humid and noisy, We then moved to San Diego and I thought the weather would be more tolerable but, nope: hot, dry, blast-furnace type heat.

Then we moved to the northwest about 30+ years ago and the weather is much better. We still need a/c in the summer but it's not nearly as intolerable as my previous locations.