Honored Contributor

Re: What Temp Do You Wash Clothes?

My husband does the laundry and washed everything in cold water until I noticed an odd smell coming from the washing machine and our towels and wash cloths. I think the smell is bacteria so I told him to wash the underwear, towels, wash cloths and sheets in hot water from now on. I don't notice the smell anymore and hopefully will not in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

Cold water 💦 

Honored Contributor

Is this a trick question? Mostly warm. To me, if something can take hot water, I can throw it in with the warm. And warm uses less electricity than hot. Generally items that need cold or cool water also need the delicate handwash setting, so those all go together. My dryer has a sanitize function I could use on anything particularly grody. I rarely do, because luckily my stuff rarely gets that dirty.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

HOT for all wash. I want the germs KILLED!!! I HATE COLD WATER WASHING. I don't feel it kills germs and cleans well. Not for me.

Millenials "all" use cold water wash. Just ask any when you are out shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

warm with cold rinse

Esteemed Contributor

Cold, usually.  "That's the way my Mom did it" (really).  Saves $$$ on energy usage and as I recall back in in the '70s we promoted resource conservation.  I try to.

Once in a blue moon I'll run a warm or hot cycle, mostly just for equipment exercise.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Wash everything in cold.

Trusted Contributor

I use warm water for all our laundry, except for sweaters when I use cold.

Super Contributor

Whites and colors warm water.... cold water for darks...towels and sheets in hot water......

Respected Contributor

Most everything in warm water, but towels in hot with some Lysol laundry sanitizer.