Honored Contributor

CHARLES PORTIS, AUTHOR OF "TRUE GRIT"

e791ab626e6785062374d45b25cc6e7f_XL.jpg

It's being reported that elusive writer Charles Portis has died at the age of 86.

From Arkansas, an ex-Marine and long-time journalist, he achieved a twangy authenticity as the author of the wonderful little novel, "True Grit".  I remember being so impressed with it years ago, and now I want to re-read, and also see the Henry Hathaway-directed movie with terrific John Wayne and Kim Darby.

Portis worked for the Arkansas Gazette, the Memphis Commercial Appeal, and was the one-time London bureau chief of the New York Herald-Tribune.  His other works of fiction include "Norwood" and "Escape Velocity".

RIP Charles Portis, a pungent and interesting writer.   

Respected Contributor

Re: CHARLES PORTIS, AUTHOR OF "TRUE GRIT"

That's a name I haven't heard in many years.  My sister belonged to a book club in the 60s, and we had seen the movie "True Grit"....when her book club offered the novel, she bought it.  It was very good.  I loved both the book and the movie with Kim Darby, John Wayne and Glen Campbell.

It did take me a bit of time to get over the stilted way the characters spoke.  I need to re-read that book!

Honored Contributor

Gosh!  Saw it, but barely remember!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee,  I echo your comments!  The unique quality of the book, that terse but poetic language, brings you right into the teenage protagonist "Mattie"'s world of the late 19th century lawless West.  It's no wonder that when the book appeared it bedazzled the critics and became an almost instant American classic, praised worldwide.

It's odd that the first film made based on it, almost eclipsed the novel, in fame at least.  But Portis was known for loathing publicity and the "media machine".  Luckily, he just kept working and delivering his unique perspective to the world.

He was a 'writer's writer', a favorite of no less than Tom Wolfe, Larry McMurtry and other greats.