Respected Contributor

What Not to Feed Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

Hummingbird with spores 1.jpg

This is a hummingbird unable to retract her tongue, which is a sign of fungal spores that have germinated on her tongue or in her gullet caused by folks mixing honey or anything other than plain white sugar with water. She will die because she can no longer feed.

Please please PLEASE .... USE ONLY PLAIN WHITE SUGAR in your mixture of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. No organic, no raw, no brown sugar, no powdered sugar, no honey, no artificial sugar. Plain white sugar/water mixture is more similar to actual flower nectar. And no toxic red color!

Change the sugar water mixture every couple days, as it will start to ferment sitting out for days on end.

If you can't or won't do this, just don't put out a feeder at all.
Super Contributor

Re: What Not to Feed Hummingbirds

Thank you for sharing this critical information.  And if possible, please add pollinator plants to your garden.  Even one flowering plant on a small patio can make a difference to birds, hummingbirds and bees near your home.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB - One note:

"Fungal infections can be treated with medications by a professional therefore if you suspect a fungal infection, immediately transport them for treatment."

If anyone finds a bird in this condition and has a bird or wildlife sanctuary that they can take the bird to, it should be done as soon as possible.

It helps to know in advance, where these places are located near you.

Trusted Contributor

Oh how I wish that people would read before you feed!  Do a little homework Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

Oh how I wish that people would read before you feed!  Do a little homework Smiley Sad

I don't know why some people can't  take the time to read how to feed them!!  Every  year we have ignorant people doing their own thing.  Makes me sick!

Contributor

Thank you for the information. The picture of that beautiful hummingbird was heartbreaking.
Esteemed Contributor

I will add, they do not need the red food that is sold in stores. Just water and white sugar - I boil it for 5 minutes and refrigerate it.

Honored Contributor

Just saw my first little hummer this morning.  Hurrah!  So glad I put the feeder out early.

Frequent Contributor

And clean the feeders every few days and put in fresh sugar solution.  When it gets hot, the sugar water ferments and that makes the hummingbirds sick. 

Janet in Georgia