Trusted Contributor

Re: What Names Were Considered?

[ Edited ]

Twenty four years ago my neighbor, we weren't extremely friendly then, was pregnant and I asked her if they had a  name chosen for the baby girl who was due soon.  She said probably Melissa and, I don't know why but I blurted out -Oh No, you're not going to call her that!   I immediately regretted saying it but, it was too late. 

She said, do you have any good M names for girl? (Both her other kids have M names).  I told her I thought Mackenzie or Morgan were unique and cute for a girl.

She loved and chose MacKenzie.  We're best friends now, shocking as that may seem.  Mackenzie, a new teacher, thanks me constantly for not having the name Melissa, she absolutely loves her name and says it was great to have such a unique name a decade before it became a very popular one..

Honored Contributor

I really like "John Mark",  @beach-mom .   And "John Paul".   And just plain John, too!

Esteemed Contributor

I never really considered other names for my kids.  I have been a Rolling Stones fan since the age of 12 and always said if I had a girl her name would be "Angie" and if I had a boy his name would be "Keith" (after guitartist Keith Richards).  I ended up with one of each, an Angie and a Keith, LOL!   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This reminds me when my son was born.  We hadn't really thought of a name, but suddenly I was under pressure to name him Isaac. (after my recently deceased fathr) I resisted.  I've always disliked the name.  But Jewish tradition means you name a child after a family member that died. I was almost fighting with my sister about that (I had the first grandson in the family)  Finally I went ahead and named him Jonathan Jacob. Jacob was my father in law's name & he recently died. My sister was still angry about it. I only got my name because an aunt that happened to be dead.