Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Your Community Doing About Homelessness?

@dex wrote:

We have a huge problem with more than a billion dollars spent but it keeps increasing.I can’t even tell you how horrible it gets with people using the streets as a restroom.They had to get rid of the planters and flower beds because they became full of human waste. There is much being done to help but sometimes I wonder if all of those programs don’t just bring more people needing help.

@dex.   Mind telling us where this utopia is?  That's truly disgusting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex  Human waste isn't a drop in the bucket when it comes to costs associated with homelessness. It is a mental problem which our country has not addressed well. Our communities cannot turn their backs on other humanbeings. Before being judgemental, be very careful. It may be a family member or close friend in the future. You never know what lies ahead.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

From reports about 39;000 are Veterns and 1 in 30 children are homeless. 

Mental Illness, low wages, high rents, lead to people becoming homeless. It is not only drugs and alcohol that lead to being homeless. 

I think it will only worsen if it is not addressed as a national problem and ways are not developed to prevent it from happening. 

States, cities, communities are doing what they can. I wish I had an answer. I do what I can to help where I live. 

Honored Contributor

My city just opened a new facility for housing homeless vets. This facility includes services to help the vets 'get back on their feet' so that they will be able to move on and become part of the working community. 

Under construction is another facility which will be used as a homeless shelter for when the weather becomes unbearable. As for something permanent for our homeless is still in the works. One of the largest tent camps here was recently cleared out by officials and now there's a debate amongst city planners as to what to do about this situation. It's very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

We have several areas where homeless reside - the woods. In one section I guess it was the county came in and they were made to move. I have no idea where they would have gone as I don't think my small area has a shelter. 

A bull dozer was brought in and the area was cleared. The stuff left behind was piled about 7' or more tall. They also had a bonfire going in the winter to keep them warm - which was probably what got them moved as it was in the woods and near houses. So if a far started it would quickly spread.

The area has been clean for a couple of years, however, I drove by about a month ago and now see a couple of tents again.

There is another area by a strip small I shop at and the homeless there are very agressive. Which is also a problem for the shop owners.

It is a sad situation for sure. But some of the homeless choose not to go to shelters for many reasons. 

Honored Contributor

More help is needed. But when you live in a poorer city, it's makes it difficult.

Trusted Contributor

Where I live there are Zero services for free so no reason for homeless folk to relocate here. 

That said when I was in my  nearest big (30,000) town last week spending 3 hours at the SS office in line. A man ahead of me was homeless, saw him walking back toward downtown,so I gave him a ride. He had spent the nite in the St. Vincent shelter,was clean,sober,well mannered,carrying what looked to be new clean backpacks and a cane. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina62I live in the Pacific Northwest.We have one of the biggest homeless problems partially because of the milder temperatures..I see many young people living 8n the streets too.My friends daughter and her boyfriend choose to live that way .They have jobs but they prefer to live in a camper and move from place to place.They blog about it and have a lot of followers who also live that way.

Honored Contributor

We have agencies to help them ,and also our churches help the ones that have jobs, and need to have a place to live ,while they are saving up for a deposit on a place of their own

I live near a Big 10 uni, and another State uni ,and community colleges ,and a Lutheran college ,so there is a lot of competition for housing.

We have had tent cities ,but they are not allowed ,for health and safety reasons. It is a problem for sure. We probably aren't doing enough ,but it is all down to funding. Some of the homeless actually want to live this way. Why ,I will never understand, but I don't think most people do.

Honored Contributor

Our town board fights over drainage ditches and the size of garbage cans but they've not had to deal with bigger issues thus far.