Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is Your Community Doing About Homelessness?

It’s a complex issue for sure. Sadly, I don’t see much widespread, national interest in addressing this very human issue. I look forward to future times when the political climate is more open to compassion and caring for everyone.

Respected Contributor

Our City has a dual purpose shelter. On the one hand, they provide meals, showers and beds on a drop-in basis for individuals. On the other hand, they provide longer term temporary housing for those (including families) who have lost their homes due to a catastrophic loss - job loss, illness, etc. who never expected to find themselves homeless. Those who use these services also have access to medical services, social services, job counseling, rides or Metro Smartcards to job interviews, etc. The end game goal is to help them get back on their feet so they can regain their independence. The City is in the process of razing the old facility and replacing it with a much larger one. In the meantime, during construction, the shelter has moved to temporary quarters in a Macy’s department store that closed in a nearby mall. I drive past the temporary shelter a few times a week and never see anyone loitering there or in the surrounding neighborhoods. I don’t always agree with decisions that the City makes, but I think they got this one right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have had a tent city near I-95 behind a closed shopping center for many years.  Oversight is by a non-profit called the 25th Project.  They raise money for tents, bottled water in summer, blankets and propane tanks in winter.  They also have food events around Thanksgiving and a few other times of the year.

I follow them on Facebook and they occasionally will put out a call for specific donations (for example during the heavy rains all summer they had emergency requests for tents or donations to buy tents).

I believe the shopping center was purchased and they moved the tent city to another location.

We also have a shelter run with grants from various jurisdictions, but it is always full.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Need to bring back the mental hospitals in the counties in our state. Since they closed them the problems are out of control. Mental illness, drug abuse, along with laziness are major causes. Help them, don't enable them. If they don't want help, there is not much that can be done. 

Esteemed Contributor

What are the homeless doing about their homelessness?

Our church runs a shelter and feeding program.  Many times, though, it seems people made choices to get them in the situation they're in, and they are ultimately the ones who can turn things around given the supports provided by the community.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I honestly have never seen or heard of any homeless in my community or local town.   I've been living here for 26 years and it's never been an issue.

However Philly is about 45 minutes away from me and I know there is a big homeless population there. 

My son lives in Philly and came home to visit this weekend.  I will ask him in the morning since your question got me curious.

Wow, I'm not asking you exactly where you live, @haddon9, but I am curious, is it a very small town or community?

We didn't use to have this problem, but now it seems to have really grown in the last few years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seattle and the surrounding areas of Seattle  are a cesspool of homeless encampment....  everywhere filthy trash, tents human waste and needles.  These homeless people( many who are mentally incapable of caring for themselves and are dangerous)  are offered help and housing and do not want it. Tax dollars are put aside to clean up their mess and try to help them into housing and off the streets..... but, it is to no avail.  

You can not help those who will not take the offered help.  It is hopeless here.....

Esteemed Contributor

Lot of help in our area but still it seems that "homeless" are hanging out at intersections. I am very suspicious of them.... how they got there in the first place. And I know they have lots of help locally.  There was a lady, her husband and her children siting near our Walmart with a beach chair, food, umbrella, etc etc.  Just want to help but I don't want to be TAKEN.  Just so you know I give freely to established charities when asked or or approached by registered charities. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have several soup kitchens ran by local churches. We also have a few private individuals who have taken it on themselves to help. One is affiliated with a large local church. They bought a bunch of land and have built, and are building more "microhouses," for them. There was a stabbing at that homesless camp a few months ago.

There are three other local groups that I know of, who give out food, clothing, shoes and furniture to people who need it in town.  There is also a free clinic in a nearby town, with some drs and nurses who volunteer, for folks who are sick and can't afford to go to the dr. They aren't open every day, and I am not sure of the scope of the care one gets there, but I know they do give meds.

We still have folks standing on corners holding signs stating they are homeless. I was taking my folks to a dr in another city, getting on the interstate a few months ago. There is a gas station across from the on ramp. I was stopped at the light, a new looking suburban pulls up by the gas station, 2 ladies get out, the back of suburban opens, the ladies get their signs saying homeless, need help, and the huge SUV drives off. That and a few other things I have seen make me wonder if this is some sort of "organization".

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

What are the homeless doing about their homelessness?

Our church runs a shelter and feeding program.  Many times, though, it seems people made choices to get them in the situation they're in, and they are ultimately the ones who can turn things around given the supports provided by the community.

@wildcat fan. See, that is the problem. Many homeless are homeless because that is what they want. They don't want to turn things around. They are doing what they choose. Which is a detriment to everyone else.