Trusted Contributor

Re: What Fabric Softener Do You Use?

@Sooner   It sounds like the Downy you are using is old.  I use the Downy Free and Clear, no color and no smell.  No more mistakes on clothes.  I knew most people would say vinegar or nothing but I can't go that way. I have so much static in clothes without a fabric softener.

Super Contributor

None - it is not good for your clothes, just a marketing gimmick that you need it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't use any and I don't use dryer sheets either.

I can't stand the smell of the dryer sheets or the dry slimy feel they leave on everything.

Respected Contributor

No fabric softener.  I use the dryer balls.

Respected Contributor

None. I use wool dryer balls. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

SUAVITEL usually.....i also add some water to the dispenser also because it helps prevent issues and buildup.

you can also try this tip.....

Use 1 capful of liquid softener mixed in a 32 oz spray bottle of water. Spray a few squirts of this diluted fabric softener onto an old clean washcloth or other similar size piece of material and throw it into the dryer with your clothes. Use the same cloth over and over again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

i don't use fabric softener and never have. way too many chemicals. i suspected that it was more hype then anything helpful and these days, many fabrics say not to use fabric softener.

the same goes for dryer sheets. i switched to wool dryer balls instead. no static cling, no gunk on clothes. one less thing to spend money on.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem with Downey. I wrote the company and they replied that it gets lumpy when it gets old.

Now I just buy the small bottle so it gets used before it lumps!

Dragonfly

Respected Contributor

I've never purchased fabric softener and stopped using dryer sheets about two months after I had a dryer ( they left greasy looking spots)). I have hard water so most of the time I use a cup of white vinegar or Oxyclean in my wash

Respected Contributor

New Zealand wool dryer balls.   They WORK!   You can get them on Amazon cheaper than Beekman's or Nellie's.   I just bought 6 for under $10.  They last a long time.