Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: ••• What Does "Passive-Agressive" Really Mean? •••

@lulu2 wrote:

@Lotus wrote:

-Victimization - Unable to look at their own part in a situation will turn the tables to become the victim and will behave like one

-Self-Pity - the poor me scenario

-Blaming others for situations rather than being able to take responsibility for your own actions or being able to take an objective view of the situation

Three perfect examples that define it right here in this forum.

And yes, it IS tossed around too often around here.

I can think of a few posters who could check off all three situations. (on a regular basis) Yet time after time, a brigade of posters will come to their defense and accuse others of being haters and bullies.

So True!!

Honored Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

Why do so many threads turn into bickering? Because there is a fairly large faction of the population that thinks that their statements should never be corrected or challenged and they take it as a personal attack or "rude" or "passive agressive" when people pointedly disagree with them or correct their inaccurate information. We see it all the time. We live in a world of make believe where some people think their opinion is factual at all times and they take it personally when people challange that fantasy. 

I didn't see much bickering here at all.  Most people were attempting to answer the question based on their understanding. No one (I think) claimed their answer was the right one.

This "expression" has been around "in the real world" for so long, that it is perfectly understandable that people's perceptions would vary.

There isn't one right or wrong answer, IMO.Even where the term originated - in the psychiatric community - there has always been disagreement on 1) the label, 2) the definition and 3) the symptoms.  There is still a debate about whether this is really a "mental disorder" at all amongst the medical community. 

I wasn't referring to this thread specifically. Which is why in my first sentance I said, why do so many threads, plural. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Hello Newziesuzie.  Whenever this question has been asked in the past I always refer the questioner to the television program "Everybody Loves Raymond."  Marie Barone is classic at passive aggressive behavior.  Many examples too numerous to mention.

Honored Contributor

The way the term is often tossed around as an epithet on these forums seems to mean those posters who refuse to meet aggression with aggression; who, when "challenged" to respond do so without losing their temper, do not respond to bait and do not allow themselves to be controlled and manipulated by bully/troll aggression. Those who refuse to engage *on someone else's terms." They are called passive-aggressive all the time.

Judging by the dictionary/official definitions that have been posted here, the globally accused exhibit almost none of the listed traits in their behavior.

In short, a handful of people calling you something does not make it a fact.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

scotttie said:

"Hello Newziesuzie. Whenever this question has been asked in the past I always refer the questioner to the television program "Everybody Loves Raymond." Marie Barone is classic at passive aggressive behavior. Many examples too numerous to mention."

::
::

Thanks scottie! I love that show and no offense to the other
responses but I think yours is the one that turned on the lightbulb
over my head lol! If she's an example then I get it.

Everybody Thanks again!

👍👍👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@scotttie wrote:

Hello Newziesuzie.  Whenever this question has been asked in the past I always refer the questioner to the television program "Everybody Loves Raymond."  Marie Barone is classic at passive aggressive behavior.  Many examples too numerous to mention.

LOL she really was, that's a great example. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

Why do so many threads turn into bickering? Because there is a fairly large faction of the population that thinks that their statements should never be corrected or challenged and they take it as a personal attack or "rude" or "passive agressive" when people pointedly disagree with them or correct their inaccurate information. We see it all the time. We live in a world of make believe where some people think their opinion is factual at all times and they take it personally when people challange that fantasy. 

I didn't see much bickering here at all.  Most people were attempting to answer the question based on their understanding. No one (I think) claimed their answer was the right one.

This "expression" has been around "in the real world" for so long, that it is perfectly understandable that people's perceptions would vary.

There isn't one right or wrong answer, IMO.Even where the term originated - in the psychiatric community - there has always been disagreement on 1) the label, 2) the definition and 3) the symptoms.  There is still a debate about whether this is really a "mental disorder" at all amongst the medical community. 

I wasn't referring to this thread specifically. Which is why in my first sentance I said, why do so many threads, plural. 

O.K. Thanks. 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@surfk wrote:
Some people just like controversy. Another example of passive-aggression is to rile things up and then let everyone else go at it (as you go off into a corner to observe...while eating your popcorn)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could also fall under the category of 'trolling'-- baiting people for their reactions without participating in it or giving your opinion of what you have asked everyone.

I don't really consider surfk's example as passive aggressive behaviour as much as it is trolling. Some have actually admitted taking pleasure in doing this very thing. It is a sport to them.

Esteemed Contributor

@scotttie wrote:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is absolutely the best and most perfect example of "passive aggressive behavior"...I bet everyone here will recognize right away that they have at least one person like this in their life, whether a co-worker, family member or friend.

Put away the complicated psychology material and watch Marie in action!...lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Since there are so many examples of passive-agressive behavior, I'm sure we've all been there, either dishing it out or taking it. I think when you throw unstable and mean into the mix you have real trouble.