Honored Contributor

Re: ••• What Does "Passive-Agressive" Really Mean? •••

@surfk wrote:
Some people just like controversy. Another example of passive-aggression is to rile things up and then let everyone else go at it (as you go off into a corner to observe...while eating your popcorn)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could also fall under the category of 'trolling'-- baiting people for their reactions without participating in it or giving your opinion of what you have asked everyone.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a sidebar, I want to say I think this is an interesting topic and it's a shame just about every thread (this one's not an anomaly) morphs into a condemnation of the original poster and a fight among other posters.  This is a good example of the reason many posters don't start their own threads, in my opinion.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Woah, .......my example Brought out an even better example.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

jaxs mom wrote:

Why do so many threads turn into bickering? Because there is a fairly large faction of the population that thinks that their statements should never be corrected or challenged and they take it as a personal attack or "rude" or "passive agressive" when people pointedly disagree with them or correct their inaccurate information. We see it all the time. We live in a world of make believe where some people think their opinion is factual at all times and they take it personally when people challange that fantasy. 

I didn't see much bickering here at all.  Most people were attempting to answer the question based on their understanding. No one (I think) claimed their answer was the right one.

This "expression" has been around "in the real world" for so long, that it is perfectly understandable that people's perceptions would vary.

There isn't one right or wrong answer, IMO.Even where the term originated - in the psychiatric community - there has always been disagreement on 1) the label, 2) the definition and 3) the symptoms.  There is still a debate about whether this is really a "mental disorder" at all amongst the medical community. 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

As a sidebar, I want to say I think this is an interesting topic and it's a shame just about every thread (this one's not an anomaly) morphs into a condemnation of the original poster and a fight among other posters.  This is a good example of the reason many posters don't start their own threads, in my opinion.

No sane person needs to be abused in that way imo.  It is what it is.........

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@surfk wrote:
Some people just like controversy. Another example of passive-aggression is to rile things up and then let everyone else go at it (as you go off into a corner to observe...while eating your popcorn)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could also fall under the category of 'trolling'-- baiting people for their reactions without participating in it or giving your opinion of what you have asked everyone.

Trolling, I suppose, could fall into either category (as a passive-aggressive act or an aggressive one).

Sometimes a troll is quite bold and won't leave people alone. That is quite an aggressive way to be. Unrequited interest in someone can lead a troll to become quite aggressive.

But I agree that in general trolling is probably most considered to be a passive-aggressive act - especially on the Internet. In the sense that trolling can mean to scrounge around looking for problems or to stir a pot at every chance, then, its probably passive-aggression.

Although its still a lil'aggressive, too, in my opinion. Smiley Happy

(I think this is why people came up with the term "what a jerk" since always being able to fully identify or define that line between what is aggressive and  what is passive-aggressive gets awfully fine sometimes). lol

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I have a different picture of passive aggressiveness as a teacher. My observations have been in the student who very calmly ignores, dismisses, and refuses to do assignments, participate, meet deadlines,  knowing full well that there will be punihment at home. There is no flair of temper, no verbal abuse...just a calm, silent rejection of the situation.  It was the one thing that a student would know his parents couldn't control, regardless of what the end result would be. In the student's mind, he or she had won the battle no matter what he faced at home.

Honored Contributor

I admit I have not read all the posts on here (normally I do like to make that effort), but having read a few I am reminded of a quote, "We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are."  This is from the Talmud, I believe.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Thanks again for the posts, like I said it was
mentioned in the thread all about bullying or trolls
so ther is a small overlap I just didn't want to go off on the
sub-topic there since it wasn't the actual topic imho.

It's all good.😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••