Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

Just finished City of Thieves which revolves around two strangers during WWll, one military, one just a young lad, who are on a mission to find a dozen eggs. That's right, in the height of the war, these two are on a search which will give them their freedom as prisoners. What they do along the way is pretty unputdownable. I really enjoyed it. The characters were wonderful, the story unusual.

Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Judaline said:
On 3/12/2014 z-da! said: I loved UNBROKEN and was surprised to see the main character on WGN, a Chicago TV channel. I did not realize he was still alive. This was about 3 yrs ago.

You're not supposed to know that till you finish the book.

He has been on MANY TV shows, so if you are a TV watcher, chances are you have seen him--guess he is about 95?? Anyway, I am reading it and never gave thought about whether or not he was still living--it is a remarkable story on so many levels, and hard to believe he lived such an interesting life from the time he was born with so many facets to him as a person!!

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2014 RaeBooks said:

Hello all my, Book Friend's and Our Queen lainey . Long time since I last posted. I hope everybody is doing well? Thanks as always lainey for the thread. You're the BEST.

I'm home after many weeks and before my short visit for the holidays , many month's in Taiwan . As you all know or maybe some don't ( and that's totally fine) My Daughter had twins .

My Two Beautiful & Healthy Grand Children were born on 2/14/14.

My Grand Son was first then following was his sister. I though OMG what if their is another. My niece has triplets. But it was just two this time , thank Heavens .

Asa Gideon and Annabelle Eliot . Their middle names are for their Great Grand Fathers from each side. They are the greatest gift to our family ever. To me they are the gift of Joy after many painful years of my Daddy's illness and now my Mother being ill.

Looking forward to going back in May to see them once again . Hubby will be coming for a week or two , this next trip back. I had to come home because of my Mothers health issues and I missed her and my Husband and my other Daughters deeply.

Okay enough about Me ( YAWN ) and my Life and on to the reason for this thread , the Book's.

I have done not a lot but some reading , long flights. Here is some of what I have read.

I'm not going to post the authors , if you can not find the book's by the title , I will be more than happy to post it for you , just let me know?

Lost Lake

Bodies of Water

A Hundred Summer's

Stealing Jenny

The Fault in our Stars

They were all pretty good. I loved the last one and its being made into a movie from what I've read.

Happy reading all . ( aka scentofasale)

RAEBOOKS, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering about those babies! Congrats on Asa and Annabelle!! Such a joy and a blessing! I LOVED Beatriz Williams' A HUNDRED SUMMERS! I hope her next book is released soon! Thanks for the heads' up, SWEET! I also enjoyed THE FAULT IN OUR STARS! It is a very moving book!
Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 baseballmom21 said:
On 3/11/2014 Sassenach1 said:

I am almost finished with 11/22/63, a Stephen King novel. Different from all his other books I have read, very character driven and absolutely un-put-downable. I do not want it to end.

I read 11/22/63 about two years ago and still think it is one of the best books I've ever read. I have recommended it to several people who have loved it also. I'm always nervous recommending such a LONG book but it hasn't disappointed yet!!! Enjoy...wish I could read it for the first time again!!!

I finished it a few days ago and I agree: it is one of the best books I have read. The ending was just as it should have been.

Super Contributor

On 3/15/2014 RINGER said:
On 3/13/2014 Judaline said:
On 3/12/2014 z-da! said: I loved UNBROKEN and was surprised to see the main character on WGN, a Chicago TV channel. I did not realize he was still alive. This was about 3 yrs ago.

You're not supposed to know that till you finish the book.

He has been on MANY TV shows, so if you are a TV watcher, chances are you have seen him--guess he is about 95?? Anyway, I am reading it and never gave thought about whether or not he was still living--it is a remarkable story on so many levels, and hard to believe he lived such an interesting life from the time he was born with so many facets to him as a person!!

I think that the fact the book is based on HIS memoirs, you know he lives through all the horror so that doesn't spoil the book. . I say "Don't GOOGLE" the story, because there are other elements you shouldn't know until the end of the book.

I had hoped he would have been invited to attend the Olympics in London. HE did run a leg of the torch run for the Nagano Japan Olympics which I thought was inspiring as he ran in Japan and has no ill will against the people there. He is truly an inspiration.

There has been a lot of photos of him with Angelina Jolie now that they are working on the movie.

Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2014 skyblue said:

Hello all my, Book Friend's and Our Queen lainey . Long time since I last posted. I hope everybody is doing well? Thanks as always lainey for the thread. You're the BEST.

I'm home after many weeks and before my short visit for the holidays , many month's in Taiwan . As you all know or maybe some don't ( and that's totally fine) My Daughter had twins .

My Grand Son was first then following was his sister. I though OMG what if their is another. My niece has triplets. But it was just two this time , thank Heavens .

Asa Gideon and Annabelle Eliot . Their middle names are for their Great Grand Fathers from each side. They are the greatest gift to our family ever. To me they are the gift of Joy after many painful years of my Daddy's illness and now my Mother being ill.

Looking forward to going back in May to see them once again . Hubby will be coming for a week or two , this next trip back. I had to come home because of my Mothers health issues and I missed her and my Husband and my other Daughters deeply.

Okay enough about Me ( YAWN ) and my Life and on to the reason for this thread , the Book's.

I have done not a lot but some reading , long flights. Here is some of what I have read.

I'm not going to post the authors , if you can not find the book's by the title , I will be more than happy to post it for you , just let me know?

Lost Lake

Bodies of Water

A Hundred Summer's

Stealing Jenny

The Fault in our Stars

They were all pretty good. I loved the last one and its being made into a movie from what I've read.

RAEBOOKS, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering about those babies! Congrats on Asa and Annabelle!! Such a joy and a blessing! I LOVED Beatriz Williams' A HUNDRED SUMMERS! I hope her next book is released soon! Thanks for the heads' up, SWEET! I also enjoyed THE FAULT IN OUR STARS! It is a very moving book!

SKYBLUE, the book is coming out in May and it's called The Secret Life of Violet Grant.

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2014 SWEET said:

Lost Lake

Bodies of Water

A Hundred Summer's

Stealing Jenny

The Fault in our Stars

SKYBLUE, the book is coming out in May and it's called The Secret Life of Violet Grant.

Thanks, SWEET! Hope it's another good one!
Contributor

Thanks Sweet & Sky for the kind posts. Thank Heavens for modern tech. I can visit with them when ever I want , but the time difference often has issues with when they are sleeping and when we are.

I will sadly be starting a book called Learning To Speak Alzheimer's and also for enjoyable reading a new book called three souls by Janie Chang .

I will post back about the second book.

Happy Reading All , ( aka scentofasale)

Contributor

On 3/15/2014 SWEET said:

Lost Lake

Bodies of Water

A Hundred Summer's

Stealing Jenny

The Fault in our Stars

Welcome back Rae and mazel tov on the birth of your grandchildren. Love the names.

As for your reading list, quite an accomplishment. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I loved A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. She has a new one coming out and I met someone on Shelfari who is a friend of hers and got an ARC of it. I am jealous. LOL. I read Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen and I was disappointed since most of her others that I read were much better. She has ups and downs in her books for me.

Take care my friend.

Hugs my Friend. Hope your winter has not been too bad. I liked Lost Lake , but it was not my fav of hers. Just happy she (SAA) is well now , she battle breast cancer .

Contributor

On 3/16/2014 skyblue said:
On 3/16/2014 SWEET said:

Lost Lake

Bodies of Water

A Hundred Summer's

Stealing Jenny

The Fault in our Stars

Thanks, SWEET! Hope it's another good one!

I pre-ordered in for my Kindle . I remember the exact date it will be loaded because my parent's would have been married for 58 years on the date ( if my daddy had not passed). it comes on May 27 , 2014. I really enjoyed A Hundred Summers very much. Hope her next is as good or better. ( aka scentofasale)