Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2014

Some of these titles sound interesting but could you say a little something as to what the book is about and why you liked it? Thanks to those that did already.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/1/2014 colinka said:

Just finished Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen. Really loved it--recommend it highly!

colinka, I loved that book too!

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Just finished Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen. Really loved it--recommend it highly!

Sorry I didn't tell you what it was about. A older woman (is 60-ish old?) rents a run-down cabin in upstate New York. She used to be a famous photographer, but has found that her career (and bank balance) is dwindling. Will her new location, outside of the New York City art scene, bring personal satisfaction, and a fresh lease on life and love? Anna Quindlen is such a witty writer. You will laugh out loud reading this book.

Contributor

I just read a series of books on my kindle . The books are called The Scavenger's Daughters. There are 4 books in the series . I highly recommend them , I enjoyed each of the books a lot. I hope there are more to read . The author is Kay Bratt

Respected Contributor

I finished Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead. I liked it but at the same time I'm not saying that I recommend it. I felt this book was over hyped.

I also read Bird Box by Josh Malerman which I liked and recommend if you like books set in a dystopian future.

Respected Contributor

I read three very different books, and I highly recommend all three.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by G. Zevin

Watching You by Michael Robotham

The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams

Super Contributor

On 6/2/2014 colinka said:

Sorry I didn't tell you what it was about. A older woman (is 60-ish old?) rents a run-down cabin in upstate New York. She used to be a famous photographer, but has found that her career (and bank balance) is dwindling. Will her new location, outside of the New York City art scene, bring personal satisfaction, and a fresh lease on life and love? Anna Quindlen is such a witty writer. You will laugh out loud reading this book.

Sorry to disagree but that's what makes all these books we read interesting, right? Smile

Hated this one. Thought it very contrived and silly. There were attempts at humor but I never laughed once. Was recommended for my book club as we are all of this age and some thought we would relate to the story. Gladly, I didn't.

After the roofer kills the raccoon because it might come back into the house (couldn't he repair the roof to keep it out? Wasn't that is job?) I gave up. Oh wait, we need him to become the hunky younger lover instead.

And the whole deal with the cross photos and her disfunctional Jewish family? I thought the whole story was bizarre. I realize she wrote many short essays for The New Yorker and thought this was a mishmash of what they didn't print.

Super Contributor

Hi Sweet - noticed you had a book by Emma Straub on your favorites list - she has a new book out called The Vacationers which got a great review on Entertainment Weekly. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/2/2014 Linders Back said:
On 6/2/2014 colinka said:

Sorry to disagree but that's what makes all these books we read interesting, right? Smile

Hated this one. Thought it very contrived and silly. There were attempts at humor but I never laughed once. Was recommended for my book club as we are all of this age and some thought we would relate to the story. Gladly, I didn't.

After the roofer kills the raccoon because it might come back into the house (couldn't he repair the roof to keep it out? Wasn't that is job?) I gave up. Oh wait, we need him to become the hunky younger lover instead.

And the whole deal with the cross photos and her disfunctional Jewish family? I thought the whole story was bizarre. I realize she wrote many short essays for The New Yorker and thought this was a mishmash of what they didn't print.

We get it. You didn't like it. Some of us did. People can look it up, read reviews and decide for themselves.
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

On 6/2/2014 SAgal said: Hi Sweet - noticed you had a book by Emma Straub on your favorites list - she has a new book out called The Vacationers which got a great review on Entertainment Weekly. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I have this on my list!