Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2014

@sunala wrote:

This is a great thread for those of us who are readers. 

Is there a way that I could switch it from this board to the "Books, TV and Movies" forum?

Aside from copying/pasting, I would have no idea how. 

Thanks!!

Sunny, looks like someone found this June thread from 2014 and bumped it.  FYI, Lainey did start a June 2015 Part 2 earlier today.  Of course it could be buried by now since we no longer have a dedicated Book Forum!  But I posted on it not too long ago.  

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

If you're looking for a good beach read, try Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand. Not quite "chick lit" because the two main characters are fifty-ish, it's light reading but with characters you can care about. Meredith's privileged life crashed when her husband was convicted of bilking billions in a Ponzi scheme and everything was seized -- left with absolutely nothing, she's alone, devastated, vilified, broke, and afraid to be seen in public. In desperation she turns to her former friend Connie -- they haven't spoken in three years -- who reluctantly agrees to shelter Meredith at her beach house for the summer. As one reader said on Amazon, "Hilderbrand shows us the painful and very real aftermath of treachery, betrayal, and loss, regardless of their causes." As I read, I kept asking myself, "How would I have reacted? How would I have coped?" with both Meredith and Connie's situations.

It sounds good! I just added it to my list. It reminds me of Bernie Madoff and his wife, Ruth. I wonder what ever happened to her, and how much she really knew (or didn't know?)

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:
I'm in the middle of The Vacationers and it is great - more when I finish it!

Sagal, I'm reading it now, also around the middle of the book, and I am enjoying it so much. 

I can't wait to find out what happens to this dysfunctional family. I love Charles and Lawrence!!

Esteemed Contributor

The previous owner of our house left several boxes of books and i've read some good ones that 'd never heard of. Currently i'm reading Ann B. Ross's Miss Julia series. I'm on the 5th and they're really well written and fun.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The weirdest thing just happened. I just realized that this thread is from June 2014, a year ago!! I just found one of my posts and realized I was reading about what I read last June lol 

Now this whole thread makes sense to me!! 

Contributor

Read this on your recommendation - I agree, loved the book.  Thank you!

Valued Contributor

ally by michael oren. a must read, in my opinion. 

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Trusted Contributor

I like different books. I read Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton twice.