Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2014

On 6/2/2014 Linders Back said:
On 6/2/2014 colinka said:
On 6/1/2014 colinka said:

Just finished Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen. Really loved it--recommend it highly!

Sorry I didn't tell you what it was about. A older woman (is 60-ish old?) rents a run-down cabin in upstate New York. She used to be a famous photographer, but has found that her career (and bank balance) is dwindling. Will her new location, outside of the New York City art scene, bring personal satisfaction, and a fresh lease on life and love? Anna Quindlen is such a witty writer. You will laugh out loud reading this book.

Sorry to disagree but that's what makes all these books we read interesting, right? Smile

Hated this one. Thought it very contrived and silly. There were attempts at humor but I never laughed once. Was recommended for my book club as we are all of this age and some thought we would relate to the story. Gladly, I didn't.

After the roofer kills the raccoon because it might come back into the house (couldn't he repair the roof to keep it out? Wasn't that is job?) I gave up. Oh wait, we need him to become the hunky younger lover instead.

And the whole deal with the cross photos and her disfunctional Jewish family? I thought the whole story was bizarre. I realize she wrote many short essays for The New Yorker and thought this was a mishmash of what they didn't print.

I remember this book now-took me a while. I stopped reading 1/4 way thru. I thought, this is cute but it's just not what I'm looking for right now. I can see why some might like it. I felt I would waste my time when there are other books out there.

Contributor

Love reading this forum, have read some great books thru your recommendations. I am reading GOODNIGHT JUNE by Sarah Jio. Found this author from the title of her first book, THE VIOLETS OF MARCH ( love violets) and I enjoyed it, have read all of her books. GOODNIGHT JUNE is good, if you ever read as a child or to your child or grandchild Goodnight Moon there is a connection.

I keep a list of books that I want to read and I have on my list THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT. I jut downloaded to my kindle A HUNDRED SUMMERS by the same author...anyone read it?

Have recently read LAKESIDE COTTAGE by SUSAN WIGGS. I thought it was part of her series Lakeside Chronicles but is not...really liked it! and THE APPLE ORCHARD (same author) that will be a series..again very good.

HI skyblue!!! Happy Reading to all!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished THE WEIGHT OF SILENCE by Heather Gudenkauf. It was pretty good. Three and one-half stars out of five. Storyline follows... It happens quietly one August morning. As dawn's shimmering light drenches the humid Iowa air, two families awaken to find their little girls have gone missing in the night. Seven-year-old Calli Clark is sweet, gentle, a dreamer who suffers from selective mutism brought on by tragedy that pulled her deep into silence as a toddler. Calli's mother, Antonia, tried to be the best mother she could within the confines of marriage to a mostly absent, often angry husband. Now, though she denies that her husband could be involved in the possible abductions, she fears her decision to stay in her marriage has cost her more than her daughter's voice. Petra Gregory is Calli's best friend, her soul mate and her voice. But neither Petra nor Calli has been heard from since their disappearance was discovered. Desperate to find his child, Martin Gregory is forced to confront a side of himself he did not know existed beneath his intellectual, professorial demeanor. Now these families are tied by the question of what happened to their children. And the answer is trapped in the silence of unspoken family secrets.

Respected Contributor

Finished The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard. Loved this book. Read it in 3 days. I'm a sucker for family stories and this one hit the spot. I won't spoil it, but it surprised me the way it "turned out."

Onto Scratched (nf) by Allen Salkin which is about the Food Network. I love the channel and my niece works there so have to read it.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

On 6/3/2014 mibaker said:

Love reading this forum, have read some great books thru your recommendations. I am reading GOODNIGHT JUNE by Sarah Jio. Found this author from the title of her first book, THE VIOLETS OF MARCH ( love violets) and I enjoyed it, have read all of her books. GOODNIGHT JUNE is good, if you ever read as a child or to your child or grandchild Goodnight Moon there is a connection.

I keep a list of books that I want to read and I have on my list THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT. I jut downloaded to my kindle A HUNDRED SUMMERS by the same author...anyone read it?

Have recently read LAKESIDE COTTAGE by SUSAN WIGGS. I thought it was part of her series Lakeside Chronicles but is not...really liked it! and THE APPLE ORCHARD (same author) that will be a series..again very good.

HI skyblue!!! Happy Reading to all!

Hi MIBAKER! How are you?? So nice to see you here. I LOVED "A HUNDRED SUMMERS" and so far I am loving THE SECRET LIFE OF VIOLET GRANT.
Super Contributor

Currently reading North of Boston, the debut novel by Elizabeth Elo. Described as:

Year's Best Crime Novels: 2014, Booklist

Dennis Lehane meets Smilla's Sense of Snow: a big discovery in the world of female suspense, about an edgy young woman with the rare ability to withstand extreme conditions.

One of the first "can't put it down" books I have read this year and I have read 18. So far (250 pages in a day and a half) I'm loving it. Much more than just a crime novel. Great characters and sub-stories that concern family and friendship.

Lehane is one of my favorite authors and Boston for obvious reasons (I live here) is one of my favorite locales.

http://www.amazon.com/North-Boston-Novel-Elisabeth-Elo/dp/0670015652

And as for my review of Still Life with Breadcrumbs, I'm sorry if I offended anyone who loves that book but I thought we were allowed to give opposing opinions here. Not every book appeals to every reader which is why this thread is so wonderful. We all get to learn about lots of options and can then decide for ourselves what to read. Smile

Respected Contributor

Linders Back, please do not apologize for not liking a book that others like. I happen to agree with you on Still life With Bread Crumbs and we surely have a right to our opinions. I like to hear opposing views. I sometimes hesitate to give my opinion on a book because others have praised it so highly.

I just finished Plainsong by Kent Haruf and I thought it was pretty average. I think I read here that many loved it.

The Mourning Hours is another book that many loved and I didn't (no surprise ending for me).

I've had The Goldfinch for several days now and still haven't started it. I think I'm going to read The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry first. I will be really disappointed if I don't like this one. Everyone seems to love it.

Esteemed Contributor

LINDERS BACK ... NORTH OF BOSTON looks great. Will look for this. Thanks! LM

Honored Contributor

Finished Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling). A famous model committed suicide or did she. Case is being investigated by a down and out private investigator. I really enjoyed this book and hope this becomes a series. I really like the 2 main characters.
Trusted Contributor

Yahooey, that was perfect timing, as the sequel comes out on 6/24! It's called "THE SILKWORM."