Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2014

Just started Whistling Past the Graveyard last night based on the recommendations here. I think I am really going to like it. Just finished The Orphan Train, great book but I feel it ended to abruptly.

Esteemed Contributor

AFTER I'M GONE by Laura Lippmann. A great read based partially on a true story. takes place in Baltimore, Md. Follows a retired detective now working as a consulting detective on cold cases as he tries to solve a 20 year old murder of the girl friend of a convicted mobster who disappeared without a trace years before.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/20/2014 sunala said:

Right now I'm reading Bodies of Water by T. Greenwood. I'm loving it and can't wait to finish it. I've read several of her books and I've enjoyed them all.

Happy reading everyone!

I've loved every book by T. Greenwood. Wonderful author. Of course my library does not have this title listed. I get so frustrated by other poster's reading lists, LOL!

That said and moving on...

I've read a lot the last few months but have been remiss in posting to this thread. I'm way behind. Will just say for now what I am currently reading which is, Sweetwater, A Novel by Roxana Robinson. I'm almost done and it's fabulous! She is a new author to me. Another superb writer, imo.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Trusted Contributor

I just finished Jonathan Kellerman's new book, "KILLER", and it was very good! By far, his best book in recent years. I also read Alexander McCall Smith's new stand-alone book, "THE FOREVER GIRL", which was beautifully written but ended abruptly, which I dislike. Before that, I read J. D. Robb's latest mystery, "CONCEALED IN DEATH", which was good, but a little slow since Eve was working on a cold case which didn't require fast action. Now, I am about to start "MOVING TARGET", by J. A. Jance, the latest in her Ali Reynolds mystery series, which has gotten very good reviews on Amazon.
Trusted Contributor

I just finished Moving Target by J. A. Jance. It is her newest book with Ali Reynolds as the main character. This book is actually two mystery stories. One is Ali helping Leland Brooks, her "butler," find out the sad circumstances surrounding the death of his father in England many years earlier. The other involves her fiance, B. Simpson, and his cyber-security firm helping solve the attempted murder of a young high school student who was serving time in a juvenile detention center.

This is a very good book. The characters are smart, caring, and clever. I also like the series written by this author with Sheriff Joanna Brady as the main character.

Respected Contributor

I finished Deadline by Sandra Brown, it was very good with lots of twists and turns.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Now I'm starting Did You Miss Me? by Karen Rose.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2014 luvpoos said:

Just started Whistling Past the Graveyard last night based on the recommendations here. I think I am really going to like it. Just finished The Orphan Train, great book but I feel it ended to abruptly.

Hope you love it as much as I did. I also read it based on the recommendations here.

Honored Contributor

Reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson since it was chosen as one of 10 Best Books of 2013 by the New York Book Review.

I'm having a hard time getting interested. The central character repeatedly looping back in time to relive her life over and over again. Sets in 1910 England. She eventually comes to realize though deja vu and tries to prevent the war by killing Hitler.

I am 25 percent in and she has died about 5 times already and has not reached her mid teens yet. Each time she lives a little longer before something happens to her. I like the premise of the story but I'm skimming the book and not reading. How many times can I read the beginning over and over again.

Should I continue? Has anyone read this?

I have Sycamore Row by John Grisham on the back burner. I haven't read any of his books since a long long time.

Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2014 Yahooey said:

Reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson since it was chosen as one of 10 Best Books of 2013 by the New York Book Review.

I'm having a hard time getting interested. The central character repeatedly looping back in time to relive her life over and over again. Sets in 1910 England. She eventually comes to realize though deja vu and tries to prevent the war by killing Hitler.

I am 25 percent in and she has died about 5 times already and has not reached her mid teens yet. Each time she lives a little longer before something happens to her. I like the premise of the story but I'm skimming the book and not reading. How many times can I read the beginning over and over again.

I loved Life After Life, but I can tell from reading other posters here that the book is not for everyone. I loved reading about all the possible incarnations of Ursula depending on external circumstances. I especially liked the sections of the book dealing with the difference between her life in England and her life in Germany during World War 2.

But I've given up on relying on best book lists anyway. One list I read included Bleeding Edge as a best book of the year and I struggled to make it through Chapter 3 before I gave up on it.

Honored Contributor

On 2/24/2014 smokymtngal said:
On 2/24/2014 Yahooey said:

I loved Life After Life, but I can tell from reading other posters here that the book is not for everyone. I loved reading about all the possible incarnations of Ursula depending on external circumstances. I especially liked the sections of the book dealing with the difference between her life in England and her life in Germany during World War 2.

But I've given up on relying on best book lists anyway. One list I read included Bleeding Edge as a best book of the year and I struggled to make it through Chapter 3 before I gave up on it.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll read another 2 chapters and see if it holds my interest.