Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2014

I read The Fat Woman Mystery by Sandra Noble. I bought it because it is by an Iowa author and was only $2.99 for my kindle. It is her first book and was GOOD! The main character is a widow in her 50s who with her overweight friends has a weekly Fit Club. The writing is witty and it is easy to relate to the characters. I could see this becoming a series.

This is the worst edited book I have ever read. There are many spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes. I am amazed that it would be sold in this poorly edited form.

I recommend it if you can overlook the poor editing.

Contributor

I am reading The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. I am really enjoying this story. I like books that have settings with different cultures. I like her style of writing.

Occasional Contributor

I finished ORPHAN TRAIN and really enjoyed it. Amazing that its based on true facts.

I'm now reading Jeffery Archer's CLIFTON CHRONICLES. 1st book was ONLY TIME WILL TELL, which I really enjoyed and now reading SINS OF THE FATHER, which is also good. I love these family saga type books.

Trusted Contributor

I finished Lynn Austin's A Woman's Place, a Christian novel about 4 women working at a ship building factory during WWII. I give it a 5 star. I love Austin's characters, and I can see myself re-reading this novel. This evening I started Anna Hope's debut novel, Wake. This is about 3 women and how their lives intertwine during the Great War. So far so good.

Respected Contributor

Ian reading THE TRAITOR'S WIFE by Allison Pataki. It's about Benedict Arnold's wife. So far, so good. Hope it doesn't sag in the middle.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/18/2014 skyblue said: Ian reading THE TRAITOR'S WIFE by Allison Pataki. It's about Benedict Arnold's wife. So far, so good. Hope it doesn't sag in the middle.

I just recently read the summary and reviews on this book, and it sounds really good. In fact, I've put it on my to-read list. Hope you enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

We all like different things.

Super Contributor

PTB on Mrs Poe by Lynn Cullen. I really wanted to like it as Poe has always fascinated me, but by page 100 it had turned from potentially good historical fiction to a trite bodice ripper. Little things started to really annoy me, too. Clever things like "he puts his pantaloons on one leg at a time" and the constant use of the word reticule. Yes, it is what a purse was referred to in the time period, but over a dozen uses of the word in the first 50 pages was enough!

It is being considered by my book club and if they choose it I will go back and finish it, but for now there are too many other books calling my name.

Respected Contributor

I managed to finish What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty but I can't say the story or the characters ever really resonated with me. And it was too long. If I had read this book before The Hypnotist's Love Story or The Husband's Secret I probably wouldn't have gone on to read those.

I'm on to The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. I never read Eat Pray Love so I have no experience with this author. It's also quite a long book (around 500 pages) and I hope this one keeps my interest.

Esteemed Contributor

Right now I'm reading Bodies of Water by T. Greenwood. I'm loving it and can't wait to finish it. I've read several of her books and I've enjoyed them all.

Happy reading everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett