Honored Contributor

Re: Westminster dog show starts tonight!

I fell asleep watching, woke up just in time to see who won. Guess we're not supposed to spoil it but that was the dog I felt would win.

Just turned my tv on and they're showing it again.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

Spurt, that cut on Poodles was a necessity.  It's hard to believe because of what the breed has become....but they were used as retrievers in Germany and France.  Those poofy balls of fur on their legs and hips provided ptotection from icy water.  I suspect their handlers probably used lanolin or some kind of fat like lard to add extra protection.  I also have a suspicion that before they became fashionable pets, their grooming was not anywhere near what it is these days.

For the show pups, grooming and preening the poochies starts months and weeks in advance.....and if you ever have the opportunity to go to a show, you will likely see them lazing on top of their crates with a blade attitude about being touched.

Grooming starts at birth: the breeder will touch an electric razor ( no blades) to their little snouts to get them used to the sensation. Whether they go into the show ring or not, it's pretty much a given that grooming will be a part of their life.

Our girl gets groomed every six weeks: she has a top knot and a poofy tail, but we keep her ear hair short: the show people have to use braids and protective wraps around their dog's ears to keep them clean during show season.

Living in Florida, the rest of her coat is kept uniformly short: no proofs or "pantaloons".  When we lived up North, we allowed our beloved Pepsi's (RIP) to grow out about six inches and I would use a curry brush in between grooming.

Presently, many poodles enjoy luxury baths complete with massage, perfume and cute bandanas....if you're lucky, your poodle will allow you to share her queen size temperpedic bed with you. Of course, she demands your undivided attention and uses her snout to push reading and writing implements out of your hands.  She loves romping and sails through the air quite gracefully.  Of course she expects treats....and then comes the big decision of the day: should she park herself on the sofa and bark at pedestrians or birds? Or, who will give up their favorite spot for her?  Poodles have busy lives! They need lots of beauty sleep!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm not watching yet, but I'll really miss David Frei.  He was great as the representative of Westminster.

@Pearlee

Yes I agree I prefer David Frei (read he retired) and enjoyed Mary Carillo from NBC Sports too....the two added something to the presentations and had good chemistry....just didnt read a bunch of facts they spoke from the heart...they provided some fun info and some laughs....

@Spurt  I watched the dog show last night and sorely, sorely missed David Frei  (He went to Fox Sports, didn't retire is what I read).  Esp. when the female announcer kept calling the Am Staff terrier by the wrong breed! OY!    I thought she was generally terrible.   David Frei made that show sooooo much better and was a delight to listen to.  I miss him!

Respected Contributor

NickNack, IT A.  I wish the word would get out about irresponsible mom and pop breeders, and what AKC certification does and does not mean.

There is very much a place for responsible breeders: most people do not know about the thousands they spend on veterinary care, genetic testing, prenatal care, breeding, housing, grooming etc. Of course, nobody can guarantee what may happen to an animals health down the road, but the responsible breeders are experts in their breed and know what problems a particular breed might be prone to. They breed accordingly.

They also want you to come to them and see their facility.  They will absolutely be asking prospective pet owners pointed, possibly personal questions.  They want to know about your dedication to taking care of the animal. They also offer a "take back " policy and you are invited to keep in touch with them throughout your pet's lifetime.

There is also a spaying/ neutering policy.  If you choose not to be in accordance with this, they have the right to refuse AKC registration.  If you want to breed, they have their own policies and yes, control over breeding, whelping and care.  They work to maintain a healthy breed with desirable characteristics-and they spend love, a lot of time and money doing it.

You are probably not going to get one of their animals for a couple of hundred dollars either: it's going to be in the thousand dollar range.

I truly hope people read this. Let's not encourage mom and pop puppy mills and breeders.

Shelters and rescues have wonderful potential family members who are all worthy of love. Pet ownership is not confined to the rich, but if you have your heart set on a pure bred dog or cat, the experience I described is what you can expect when you go to a reputable breeder.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Did anyone happen to see Mia the Beagle doing her agility performance?  She was so cute - easily distracted and just being a dog.  The crowd loved her.

Mia, The Beagle - Westminster 2017 Agility

Super Contributor

Watched both nights of the 2017 Westminster Dog Show and in the 30 years I have watched this on television, this year had the WORST coverage.  This is the first year the event was broadcast by Fox Sports, and the change was not for the better.  The announcers who replaced David Frei and Mary Carillo seem like they were just thrown into this event and not prepared at all.  The pauses, the mistakes in identifying breeds, and the unnecessary chatter about the handlers' outfits made me miss David and Mary even more.

And the camera shots were awful!  Too many shots of the audience, awkward shots of handlers and judges, and WAY too many shots of the judge for the Sporting Group.  Although she was very attractive, and her name happened to be the same as mine (Paula) did we really have to see all those closeups of her legs and derriere??  This event is about the dogs, and there should have been more closeups of them - after all, this is the Westminster DOG Show!

And the young lady who was "behind the scenes" had some cringeworthy moments.  Including this gem:  When she went up to the winning dog of the Hound Group, a beautiful Norwegian Elkhound, she proclaims that the dog was the winner of the Herding Group.  A few seconds later, she holds her ear and then says "I'm SORRY, but this is the winner of the HOUND Group!"  Oh, Lord...

And I was ready to throw my shoe in the TV after one of the announcers, some guy who broadcasts NASCAR events, was referring to Rumor (the gorgeous female German Shepherd who won the Herding Group then went on to win Best in Show) as a he and not a she!  Hey buddy, females can't be beautiful AND powerful??

Even the green carpeting on the floor looks like it was hastily installed.  Carpet panels were not evenly placed, giving the carpet floor a cheap appearance.  Thankfully, no one (either two-legged or four-legged) tripped over it.

Although there were way too many kinks in this year's coverage, I was so happy to see Rumor win Best in Show.  They say that New Yorkers love German Shepherds, and this New Yorker is no exception.  Rumor is the first German Shepherd to win Best in show in 30 years.  In 1987, the great Manhattan won Best in Show, and he was also the first German Shepherd to do so in the history of Westminster.

There are numerous comments on social media about how people were unhappy with this year's coverage, and hopefully TPTB will listen and make the necessary improvements for next year - like bringing back David Frei and Mary Carillo!

Honored Contributor

In watching this, I quickly realized why I detest this show.  I hate that these dogs are altered to conform to what the AKC has deemed to be the breed standard.  The breed standard should be how the dog is born naturally.

Cropping ears and docking tails is not a breed standard IMO.  I watched last night to see the boxer and was thrilled when she won her group which then prompted me to stay up and watch to see if she won the event but as I watched many of the dogs in the sporting group, it made me sad to think of the inhumane things they do to some of these dogs to make them conform.

Esteemed Contributor

Haha the girl behind the scenes was a bit scattered.  I kept looking at her tattoos.

Loved the best in show winner.   

Honored Contributor

Way to go Rumor!

If at first you don't succeed try, try, again!  Never, never, never give up!

Best wishes with that 'new hubby'!Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras