Respected Contributor

Went Out To Eat Yesterday...

We don't eat out often.  Found a place, nothing fancy, but was advertised as a place and food from where we were both born and raised, NJ.  I live in the Southeast now, been out of NJ for over 20 years.  We had to check it out.  Like I said, it wasn't fancy and it wasn't a large place.  It's a Mom and Pop restaurant that you'd find on the corner of a neighborhood.  Steady stream of people coming in.  The food was delicious, they make their own mozzarella.  Husband went down a hallway and there were 100's of pictures of the owner with celebrities, and some presidents like Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford.  He's a chef and was the chef for Frank Sinatra.  I think the pics were from the restaurant in Las Vegas.  One of the young men starting talking to my husband and said "Have you met Johnny?"  Then, Johnny came out to our table.  Stayed with us for a while and was so nice and personable.  Asked me if I was going to have dessert, I said yes, the cheesecake of course.  Then he comes out with a cheesecake on the house.  Though it was so good, my husband got one too.  He seems to know many of the folks eating there and if not, he'd go out and introduce himself.  It was just a nice day and good experience.  Like I said, we don't eat out often and even though this place is over 40 minutes away, even longer because traffic is always so bad, we'll be back.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Went Out To Eat Yesterday...

Eating local is the best.  What a wonderful experience for you.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy Life still affords wonderful surprises. It sounds like you got a really good one. Enjoy all your future dining experiences at your new favorite place.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a couple small family owned restaurants in the area.  Great folks and they consider their staff family.  

Glad you had a good experience.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy,

That sounds like such a good experience. That's what makes a wonderful restaurant and worth going, especially these days.

Thanks for sharing that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Did they have Taylor Ham and hard rolls? Guess where I'm from!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We don't eat out often.  Found a place, nothing fancy, but was advertised as a place and food from where we were both born and raised, NJ.  I live in the Southeast now, been out of NJ for over 20 years.  We had to check it out.  Like I said, it wasn't fancy and it wasn't a large place.  It's a Mom and Pop restaurant that you'd find on the corner of a neighborhood.  Steady stream of people coming in. 

The food was delicious, they make their own mozzarella.  Husband went down a hallway and there were 100's of pictures of the owner with celebrities, and some presidents like Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford.  He's a chef and was the chef for Frank Sinatra.  I think the pics were from the restaurant in Las Vegas.  One of the young men starting talking to my husband and said "Have you met Johnny?"  Then, Johnny came out to our table.  Stayed with us for a while and was so nice and personable. Asked me if I was going to have dessert, I said yes, the cheesecake of course.  Then he comes out with a cheesecake on the house.  Though it was so good, my husband got one too.  He seems to know many of the folks eating there and if not, he'd go out and introduce himself.  It was just a nice day and good experience.  Like I said, we don't eat out often and even though this place is over 40 minutes away, even longer because traffic is always so bad, we'll be back.  

ETA:  Put this back to how @ScrapHappy posted it. Added a new explanatory post, for those that care to read it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We don't eat out often.  Found a place, nothing fancy, but was advertised as a place and food from where we were both born and raised, NJ.  I live in the Southeast now, been out of NJ for over 20 years.  We had to check it out.  Like I said, it wasn't fancy and it wasn't a large place.  It's a Mom and Pop restaurant that you'd find on the corner of a neighborhood.  Steady stream of people coming in. 

The food was delicious, they make their own mozzarella.  Husband went down a hallway and there were 100's of pictures of the owner with celebrities, and some presidents like Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford.  He's a chef and was the chef for Frank Sinatra.  I think the pics were from the restaurant in Las Vegas.  One of the young men starting talking to my husband and said "Have you met Johnny?"  Then, Johnny came out to our table.  Stayed with us for a while and was so nice and personable. 

Asked me if I was going to have dessert, I said yes, the cheesecake of course.  Then he comes out with a cheesecake on the house.  Though it was so good, my husband got one too.  He seems to know many of the folks eating there and if not, he'd go out and introduce himself.  It was just a nice day and good experience.  Like I said, we don't eat out often and even though this place is over 40 minutes away, even longer because traffic is always so bad, we'll be back.  

Why do you find it necessary to edit someone else's post to make paragraphs.  I think that's very rude.  If you have trouble reading her post, skip it.   How would you like someone editing your long-winded posts?

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We don't eat out often.  Found a place, nothing fancy, but was advertised as a place and food from where we were both born and raised, NJ.  I live in the Southeast now, been out of NJ for over 20 years.  We had to check it out.  Like I said, it wasn't fancy and it wasn't a large place.  It's a Mom and Pop restaurant that you'd find on the corner of a neighborhood.  Steady stream of people coming in.  The food was delicious, they make their own mozzarella.  Husband went down a hallway and there were 100's of pictures of the owner with celebrities, and some presidents like Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford.  He's a chef and was the chef for Frank Sinatra.  I think the pics were from the restaurant in Las Vegas.  One of the young men starting talking to my husband and said "Have you met Johnny?"  Then, Johnny came out to our table.  Stayed with us for a while and was so nice and personable.  Asked me if I was going to have dessert, I said yes, the cheesecake of course.  Then he comes out with a cheesecake on the house.  Though it was so good, my husband got one too.  He seems to know many of the folks eating there and if not, he'd go out and introduce himself.  It was just a nice day and good experience.  Like I said, we don't eat out often and even though this place is over 40 minutes away, even longer because traffic is always so bad, we'll be back.  

@ScrapHappy 

That sounds like the perfect night and worth the drive.  

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy   That place sounds wonderful!  Can you share what city/state this is in and or the name?

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread