Honored Contributor

Re: Well Meaning Family & Friends.

You simply reinforce to others what you told us. Thank them for caring, but let them know how content you are. I'm looking forward to next week when I plan to stay inside and go through each room (cleaning and getting rid of things I don't need). If I'm successful, I may treat myself to lunch at a waterfront cafe.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

You simply reinforce to others what you told us. Thank them for caring, but let them know how content you are. I'm looking forward to next week when I plan to stay inside and go through each room (cleaning and getting rid of things I don't need). If I'm successful, I may treat myself to lunch at a waterfront cafe.

We are doing the same thing. The garage was today...wow it feels good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  My husband and I are retired and we are homebodies too. We enjoy being at home in the country, it's like being on vacation everyday. I have relatives who cannot understand why we don't visit more and why on earth we would not want to be traveling. Our son doesn't care what we do as long as we don't spend too much of his inheritance or bother him.LOL

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2....now that I am a widow, I am dealing with the same thing. People telling me what I should be doing, like they know what is best for me. Cat Tongue

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse  My sister and I get along very well but we are human and get on each other's nerves occasionally.  She would say the same about me.  We have never had a serious fight, never stopped talking to each other.

The rest of the family, with the exception of 2 or 3 cousins are fine.  Luckily, I live far away and can avoid them 99% of the time.

I'm so glad for you that your family is perfect.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@GenXmuse  My sister and I get along very well but we are human and get on each other's nerves occasionally.  She would say the same about me.  We have never had a serious fight, never stopped talking to each other.

The rest of the family, with the exception of 2 or 3 cousins are fine.  Luckily, I live far away and can avoid them 99% of the time.

I'm so glad for you that your family is perfect.

I never said they were perfect but I'm not on here complaining about them though 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse  People come here all the time to vent.  I'm sorry If it bothers your sensibilities feel free to avoid my posts.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think you are very lucky to have people that care about you.

I agree.  She is extremely lucky.  Some people only have friends and family very far away, and others don't have any caring friends or family at all. 

There are many people who stay home all the time and are miserable, and no one knows or cares!

So yes, I understand that unwanted advice can be a problem.  I would continue to do what I want.  I would assure them that I'm fine and ask them to please back off about it.  And from time to time I would initiate plans with them - dinner at my house, or lunch out, things that would be enjoyable and would also show them that I'm not retreating into becoming an anti-social sad hermit.  But most of all I would be grateful that there are people in my life who care about me, are concerned with my well-being, and want me to be happy.

Esteemed Contributor

I know I'm lucky to have a family and friends that care about me.  I appreciate their concern too.

I just think enjoying staying home  at this stage of my life is not unusual and they are fretting for nothing.

If I were sitting here all day drinking alone and not having any contact with anyone then yes concern would be warranted.

I speak with my sister probably every other day and speak or email a couple of close friends too. 

I know they probably won't stop saying "You need to get out of the house."  And my response will always be "Why?"

Esteemed Contributor

Just let them know you are content staying home.  

I hate running around constantly and am quite content being in my home.  I call it my downtime.