Esteemed Contributor

Well Meaning Family & Friends.

I like being home. I go out when I have Dr. appts, I occasionally meet friends for dinner or meet my sisiter and BIL for lunch.  Otherwise, I can stay home for days, sometimes weeks and I am good.

Lately, espcially since DH died my kids, my sister and a couple friends have been nagging me to get out and about.  Why?  I keep in touch with people and when I venture out I enjoy myself but am always glad to get home.

I wish they would just back off.  For decades when I was raising kids and working I ran my fat butt off everyday.  I spent more time in the car and "going" than I did at home.  I'm over it.

What do you do when people don't listen to what you tell them you are good the way you are?

Honored Contributor

Re: Well Meaning Family & Friends.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @I think they care about you and are concerned that you might be a little depressed since you say your habits have changed.If you used to go out a lot and now you stay in then I think that is the reason for their concern.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @dex .  Also, since your DD lives with you, she may feel she needs to stay home since you are there.  She needs to socialize with her own friends but may feel guilty doing so if you never go out withour her.

Trusted Contributor

I hear you!  They think they know what's best and that you're like they would be in your situation.  They mean well.  I haven't found an answer yet.  Let me know if you do.  By the way, you seem to have found the perfect balance in the life you're living now.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Just keep doing what you want to do and not what others think you should do.  Sounds like you have a social life similar to mine and I am happy with it.  Thank those who think you need to change but let them know that you are content the way things are.

BTW, how is the knee doing?

Honored Contributor

Be grateful you have people looking out for you.

Just keep doing what you're doing.  People have a tendency to make sure that when a spouse dies, you don't sit home and wallow. 

Honored Contributor

Been a widow for several years now and I stay home a lot too.  I rather enjoy it.  Find I don't have things "in common" with a lot of other ladies.  I  don't care to travel.   I keep busy since I have to do everything except I do, of course, hire people  for cutting lawns, trimming trees, home repairs, etc.   I feel I don't fit in to some activities, but I do enjoy taking one class.  It's such a different life without my husband,  but I do the best I can to keep  busy and thankful for the days I have and that my kids are so good.

Esteemed Contributor

I looked forward to being home since I retired in 2015.  However, DH's cancer disgnosis required going constantly.  I was glad I could be there for him and see him through his illness.  My staying home has been since before he died.  When he recovered I was finally able to plant myself and stay home.

@Travone  My daughter doesn't sit at home with me.  She works and enjoys going out  I expect and want her to do that, she has a life. 

@chlema  Knee is okay. Still aches at night.  Will never have the other one done.

Respected Contributor

They care for you, let them know that you appreciate their concern, and keep doing what you want. Talk about things that interest you ie movies, books, fixing up the house etc., to show them you're ok.

It is a beautiful blessing to have ones who care.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I just ignore them.

I'm old enough to do what I want to do, if that's to stay home for weeks at a time, so be it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.