Trusted Contributor

Re: Well I Had the Bejeebers Scared Out of Me . . . Again

[ Edited ]

I have a few of my mothers Pyrex dishes I still use occasionally.  I have been buying the new glass Lock&Lock dishes because they are made with the original borosilicate material.  I don't think I have heard of any problem with them exploding.

Well I had to edit my response because I was reading reviews on the glass 9x13 and there are quite a few reviews of the dishes breaking in half either while cooking or after.

But there are a lot more good reviews.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

I have a few of my mothers Pyrex dishes I still use occasionally.  I have been buying the new glass Lock&Lock dishes because they are made with the original borosilicate material.  I don't think I have heard of any problem with them exploding.

Well I had to edit my response because I was reading reviews on the glass 9x13 and there are quite a few reviews of the dishes breaking in half either while cooking or after.

But there are a lot more good reviews.

@grandma2pkmh, yes good reviews are given by folks not having exploding Pyrex experiences.  And I hope no one else EVER has one.  But sadly, for those of us who have, they're very frightening and should be taken seriously.  The injuries could be deadly when you're exposed to flying shards of very sharp, large pieces of glass.  Just like shrapnel.  This issue needs to be taken seriously.  LuLu

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  How horrible for you and thankfully you were not injured.  I do not own any Pyrex, but I do receive their emails.  Thank you for your warning.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

My son-in-law had the same thing happen to him about a year ago.  He was baking stuffed peppers and the pan exploded into big glass pieces like you described.  We consumers just never know what to expect these days.  Glad you weren't hurt,he wasn't either.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

There's an easy way to tell if you've got the good stuff or the bad stuff when it comes to PYREX.    If the name PYREX is in all capital letters, it's made out of the borosilicate glass (the good stuff).  If you find the upper case name PYREX, it's either made in France or it's a vintage item of PYREX.  If it's Pyrex, it's made out of soda lime glass and can explode.  I heard this tidbit quite a while ago.