Honored Contributor

A duvet should work.  I bought myself one over a year ago.  I bought a 20lb weighted blanket that came with a washable cover.  I looked at quite a few and everyone I looked at came with a washable cover.  I use it when my neck or back pain kicks in and I can't sleep but I don't want to take pain meds.  It works.

Respected Contributor

I always think that I would feel claustrophobic with a weighted blanket on my legs. As a child I could never stand it when we were kidding around and someone sat on my legs and I couldn't move them. 

Super Contributor

I haven't used one myself, but our ADHD kids love them. They are able to settle in bed and drift off to sleep. The weight of the blanket and the closer warmth of their body heat seems to give them security. Probably would have been a good investment when they were smaller and traveling in the car so they'd be more calm. I'd reccommend these for anyone with fidgity/restless family membersSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@patbz.  I find this to be a great way to clean unwashable items, particularly fabric shoes and handbags.  I use a hose-end sprayer designed for gardening use.  I just add some liquid detergent.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman,   my "Blanquil" weighted blanket from the Q has a removable cover for washing;  if your hubby decides he wants one permanently, hope you can get one that has the "un-zip" factor for washing.

So glad he is liking it.  I've become a bit of a bore with mine, extolling its virtues!   It absolutely has helped with insomnia, and I find it has a soothing, tranquillizing effect, at least on me.  And, be assured, I was prepared to think the hype was all hokum!  Mine is a 15 pound weight which to me does not feel too heavy, although some people are very sensitive to weight on them-- I've always found that "cozy".....  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all who responded.

The duvet is a perfect idea and, I've used them on comforters, but gave them all away.  So cumbersome when using them on a king comforter!

However, this blanket is smaller than a twin, so it should be fine.

@Oznell 

15 pounds is quite a load! Cat LOL

This one is just 12 and I have to use both hands to fold and remove from the bed in the morning.

I'm amazed DH likes it.  I prefer the warmth of a small down comforter (purchased from QVC years ago).  It is almost weightless, but keeps me warm.

I might experiment using his, but, honestly, the idea of being weighted down in bed makes anxious.  I don't even like heavy blankets!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman ...I've been hearing so much about weighted blankets and have been doing some research....The glass beads filler, as well as the type of material such as cotton,  help maintain a more cooling temperature for the body so it is a better choice than ones that are filled with plastic pellets.

I'm looking at the Luxome brand which is having a sale right now...I'm just trying to decide what weight to get so I'm keeping a close eye on your thread and all of the replies.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Weighted Blankets

[ Edited ]

I love mine! Also w/ glass beads in it. it is a 25#  one  and

size is   68"x80"    to fit my queen size bed..

some places recommend you go by your weight to orde different sizes of weighted blanket.

By getting a full/queen/king size i can turn over and it stays put and not shift

I am finally getting much needed sleep now and it helps my arthritis  in my back and when i have fibro flare ups that causes m. spasms in my feet,ankles,hips and back,etc.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weighted Blankets

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove 

As you saw, the one I bought was 12 lbs, but it feels so much heavier to me.  I'm going to try it out one afternoon for a nap to see how it works for me.

I purposely did NOT get a bigger blanket as I thought it might be unwieldy.  Judging from the one I got, it would be!  It's more of a twin size, but it covers DH well enough that he's cozy.

Hope you find one that works for you!  This one was on sale, but the regular price of $110 seemed pricey to me.  I think I ended up paying around $30.

Respected Contributor

You usually buy them according to your weight.  There should have been a chart somewhere when you bought it. The larger you are the heavier the blanket.  Yes. They are great for the ADH kids.  My grandson loves his.