Esteemed Contributor

I'm probably the last one on earth to learn this.

DH asked me about weighted blankets and suggested they might help him from tossing and turning so much.

He rarely asks me for such things, so, I found one on sale at Belks.  This thing was normally $110, but was on a great sale and coupon, so I bought a 12 lb blanket.  They had one lighter and one heavier.  Cannot imagine that heavier one!

Had no idea that they are filled with tiny glass beads and are not really washable.  You can hear the beads shifing around a bit when you fold it.

Since it wasn't that big of an investment, I don't mind, but I'm one that likes to wash things, so I'm glad it wasn't expensive. 

DH said he liked it and that's what counts.  Lifting the thing off the bed is like lifting weights!  I don't know what I thought made them "weighted" but I never imagined glass beads.

Trusted Contributor

I don't own one, but I've read that some are machine washable and some have covers that are also washable.

Respected Contributor

Just fyi - Some come with removable covers that are washable but you might be able to find a separate cover that might be the right size.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weighted Blankets

[ Edited ]

My daughter had a bad accident and broke her back and hip.She uses one of these blankets and loves hers and says it really helps with pain.

ONE PRECAUTION,  she says.................

If you have a SMALL DOG OR CAT  or maybe any dog/cat ,that sleeps with you,it CANNOT GET OUT FROM UNDER THE BLANKET 

It is just too heavy.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman you can use a duvet cover that is washable.

Esteemed Contributor

@mizree 

Yes, never thought of a duvet.  Good idea.

I'll have to see if he continues to use it.  Although, he's using it on top of a sheet and bedspread, so not touching anything other than fabric.

I have yet to try it, but pretty sure it's not for me.

Respected Contributor

One more note to add to the others - it is HOT - there are times I swear it is generating heat!  I can't use mine in the warmer months because of this. 

Esteemed Contributor

I  also had no idea they are filled with glass beads.  I am glad such products are available to help people sleep. 

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Some of the weighted blankets I've seen come with a removable washable cover. Sometimes they give you an option to buy one w/o the cover, too, which is usually cheaper. Some of the best prices I've seen are on Groupon dot com. Many have free returns and that's a deal b/c the blankets are heavy, bulky and would cost a lot to ship it back.

Esteemed Contributor

My son has one and put it in washer ( thankfully I retrieved before he put in dryer); took two days for it to dry.  A duvet cover is a great idea but another alternative is put it on patio and use diluted dish soap and your hose ( I periodically do this with inexpensive area rugs).  Has saved us a ton of cleaning bills over last 25 years!