Super Contributor
@DiAnne ---- I agree with you. Many times patients wander into other patients rooms and steal clothes, jewelry, etc.. When my mom was in a facility, I saw many patients attempt to go into other patient's rooms. I would stop them and call a nurse. Finally they started putting up baby protector gates to block the patients' doorways.
Honored Contributor

A lot of people get sterling or platnium plated and change them out for that reason.  They're perfectly happy with the substitutes.  The ladie's engagement rings are good enough to pass.

Honored Contributor

My mother died in a hospital.  When they called dad and me to come, we did and spent some time with her.  Before I left, I made sure I removed her diamonds from her finger and took them with me.  I'm so glad I had the wherewithal to remember to do that.  Her two granddaughters now each have pendants made from those diamonds.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Sorry this happened and to say I didn't have to read but a couple of sentences to feel it was taken from him...you can keep asking, but IMO I don't see you getting it back, unless someone happens to "find" it and returns it to you.  I wish you the best and hope it finds its way back to where it belongs🙏

@chihuahuamom - @DiAnne - I forgot to mention my dad was in assisted living.  Quite a few times while I sat there visiting with dad, residents (all women) would come into his room and do some grocery shopping from his cabinets.  At first I found it comical, but it did get annoying.  I know they took pretty much what wasn't nailed down from tops of furniture and helped themselves to dresser drawers and the closet as well.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding ring lost

[ Edited ]

Keep checking. Has he lost weight, so that it might fall off his hand? I'm sorry to think or say it, but, it may end with it lost. Make sure if someone comes forward with it, that they can contact you. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

When my grandfather was in a nursing home......his glasses were missing numerous times and we would replace them....and again the glasses were gone...also shoes for some reason......other items of clothing also...was never sure if it was residents or staff....or combined...but we made sure not to bring in any expensive valuables....

Esteemed Contributor

We would bring Mom Wherthers candy because her mouth would get dry from her medication. She would go for a ride in her wheelchair and they were gone when she got back....

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I worked part time for 9 years in a skilled nursing and unlocked memory care facility.  Many things went missing constantly.  It was not the employees but the other patients taking things. 

My Favorite Breed is Adopted

This is true.  I was a nurse in a nursing facility for a short time and many times the patients themselves took their belongings into other patients rooms.  

Many false teeth, pieces of jewelry, money was found in the patients sheets when the aides would be changing the sheets.  

The ring may have been taken, but more likely he took it off and misplaced it.

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened.  I agree about keeping after it.

One night at my grandmother's, one of the men decided his dentures were uncomfortable.  He went around testing the others.  But he didn't just try them and replace them, he took them with him and randomly put them in different rooms.  This was before dentures were i.d. marked.  It took them weeks to reunite them with their owners.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I worked part time for 9 years in a skilled nursing and unlocked memory care facility.  Many things went missing constantly.  It was not the employees but the other patients taking things. 

My Favorite Breed is Adopted

This is true.  I was a nurse in a nursing facility for a short time and many times the patients themselves took their belongings into other patients rooms.  

Many false teeth, pieces of jewelry, money was found in the patients sheets when the aides would be changing the sheets.  

The ring may have been taken, but more likely he took it off and misplaced it.

Yes...........my aunt's  ring "went missing"...........and a few days later it had been replaced by something from Big Lots.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥