Honored Contributor

I have never given a gift for a wedding....always cash.   When I think of all the weddings I've attended, the vast majority of wedding gifts, including my own wedding, were almost all cash.

Asking for cash is no different, to me, than a registry.   The way I think of it, you are telling the guests what you prefer as a gift.

The guests are free to give whatever they prefer. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I always give cash too. It seems like by the time the wedding rolls around most of the gifts on the registries have already been chosen for all of the wedding showers. 

Respected Contributor

I find it rude of a couple that's been living together, owns a home, and has a child to throw a wedding and expect gifts.  It used to be gifts were given to start them on setting up their home.  Now they have all they need and they throw a huge wedding and bring the baby too!

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Regular Contributor

I've attended many weddings, baby showers and I've appreciated the convenience of wedding or other registries. I am not offended at all. I can order off of any list and have the gift shipped directly to the happy couple, if needed. I can have the gift shipped to me if I'm attending a shower. I prefer to give a gift that's wanted or needed even if anyone has been living on their own as they are starting a new life together and might want or actually need to receive items to complete their home.

I am not offended if cash gift is mentioned as I want to give for their particular circumstance. I prefer to do this than give just something I randomly select that they might not need or have one to three of. Things have changed since I married many years ago and I change with the times even when at first I felt certain etiquette rules were broken. I just want to celebrate for and with the happy couple in the direction their life path is taking them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Registry??

[ Edited ]

Well stated, Bjjo. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Regular Contributor

Re: Wedding Registry??

[ Edited ]

Replying to a statement/post as to a couple with child living together, then has wedding.

I would be happy to celebrate in their decision to commit/ dedicate their life together in front of others.

Honored Contributor

So many people want to give gifts that are other than what the giftee wants.  I don't understand this.  Don't you give a gift to make the gift recipient happy?  Or is to make the giver happy?  Sometimes this concept seems to get backwards. . . 

Trusted Contributor

There's NOTHING wrong with giving CASH instead of a gift from a registry. No tacky at all. I always give cash.

Honored Contributor

@debc wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Registries don't make sense for everyone. They made a lot of sense when people married very young and went from living at home or at college to starting a new home with a spouse. Now people are living on their own a while before they get married. They have linens and kitchenware and they're trying to figure out which ones to get rid of, not which they need more of. 

Meanwhile, many of them are in debt and will be paying student loans for decades and they need money more than they need things.

It may seem crass, but isn't the idea behind a wedding gift is giving the couple something that will help them start their new life together in comfort? And if that's the case, what's the better gift: a $70 place setting they don't need or the $70 you would have spent on the place setting that they can use to help pay down debt or go on a honeymoon they can't afford because they're paying student loans?

Sorry, if they're going to want a fancy traditional wedding they should stick to the script of the wedding registry as well.  If they have debts they should be using the money they are spending on the wedding.   We went to Vegas and our family has a very small reception for us.  Family and best friends only. 

Your mandate that if they want a nice wedding, then by gosh, they had better toe the line and stick to the script sounds so harsh.

Scripts change over time and depending upon circumstances. Gee, I even happen to remember a time when there weren't wedding registries.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

There's NOTHING wrong with giving CASH instead of a gift from a registry. No tacky at all. I always give cash.

Nope nothing wrong with it, but I think it's tacky to ask for cash only as gifts... that's just me..  Monoply money?  Just teasing..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee