Honored Contributor

Re: Weather - Snow's Coming!

@BirkiLady wrote:

Beet juice is being applied on our streets! The first snowfall is expected this weekend. Oh, NO. Mother Nature, what are you thinking??

@BirkiLady.   Beet juice?  Please explain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yep, Amarillo area chance on MOn

drops down to 28 Sunday nite !

Unbelievable

@SharkE    I had a co-worker born and raised in Amarillo who showed me a photo of her backyard when she was a child, with 10ft snow drifts!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  A brine made from beets has been developed which works much better than the old salt spread formerly used. It doesn't ruin the streets or vehicles (anyway not nearly as quickly) and doesn't leave that ugly white film all over everything. It goes on clear and the City is able to apply it days in advance of a snowfall, which saves on overtime for the Roads Dept. All in all, it's been a win-win for our community for several years.

I believe the University of Nebraska (Agriculture Campus @ Lincoln) developed the brine many years ago. It should be available nationally by now.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

No snow expected anytime soon here on the East Coast.  We finally got our first taste of fall today with temperatures in the low 60's.  Yesterday was 82.  I was finally able to turn my air off this morning.  Hoping to keep it off until May now.  I do, however, look forward to our first snow!

Honored Contributor

My area of southern West Virginia is to see a low of 39 tonight.   Our highs next week are expected to be in the low 60’s.   

The higher elevations of Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties could see their first flurries this weekend; just light, visible, very scattered flurries.   

Respected Contributor

☃️That should get you in the mood for a cozy fire, a cup of cocoa and a good movie ! 

We are finally back down to the kind of temps we love here, 😀the 80’s.

Trusted Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

No snow yet here in southwestern Michigan, but one of the local weather guys says the "skeeters are going to meet their maker" tonight. I guess that means we're going to get a hard freeze. A few days ago it was in the upper 80's and I had my A/C on. 

@FrostyBabe1  It was snowing in Genesee County tonight.

Honored Contributor

We are typical for Ohio quick changes. 

Beginning of the week it was 90 and humid, Today in the low 50's and dropping, and they said the S word on the news tonight that the rain we get overnight could see a flake or two. 

The local weather guy mentioned snow was falling somewhere in Illinois today. I'm sure it was nothing to fret about, but it still is like somebody flipped a switch here this week. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Kachina624  A brine made from beets has been developed which works much better than the old salt spread formerly used. It doesn't ruin the streets or vehicles (anyway not nearly as quickly) and doesn't leave that ugly white film all over everything. It goes on clear and the City is able to apply it days in advance of a snowfall, which saves on overtime for the Roads Dept. All in all, it's been a win-win for our community for several years.

@I believe the University of Nebraska (Agriculture Campus @ Lincoln) developed the brine many years ago. It should be available nationally by now.

@BirkiLady.  Interesting but I hope it doesn't stain everything beet red.  I wonder if they use sugar beets?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  It's a clear brine made from beets. Nothing is red! Sugar beets are grown in Nebraska by home gardeners (maybe some farmers), so I'd assume so. I buy them at the Farmer's Markets. (What do I know about this stuff?)  The Ag. Campus did the experiment and development. What other kind of beets are there? (I've never been around a farm and honestly don't know.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.