Honored Contributor

We're giving up on grocery delivery

And it's truly a shame because it so convenient and safe. Here is our problem:

We had our fourth delivery today. All have been placed on our Ralphs (Kroger) website. They partner with Instacart but have a much wider selection than available from the same store but on the Instacart site.

With our first three deliveries, we did not receive any kind of receipt, either in person or online. In fact, the only evidence of line of ANY purchase is one that I had canceled.

We have no ability to see the revisions due to unavailable items or substitutes. What is posted on AMEX doesn't jibe with anything we can figure out. And of course, it's always higher. We do factor in the delivery, tip, and any that incurred a tax.

My husband spent two hours after the second delivery trying to reach Krogers. When he finally got through, they said something about being overwhelmed, that the pending charge would change (none have), and that we should be seeing receipts online.

None of that has happened. I'm been on hold right now for almost an hour after yet another discrepancy with today's delivery.

When I give up, we are going to dispute each and every order with AMEX.

BTW, apparently we are hardly alone:

From a Houston news site:

Customers complain of fraudulent charges on grocery deliveries

HOUSTON – As many families try to stay home and stay healthy, the grocery delivery business is booming. But before you place an order, you should know dozens of consumers all over the country said Instacart shoppers are stealing from them.

The problem

Instacart is one of the country’s largest grocery delivery companies. Personal shoppers pick your groceries and deliver them to your doorstep. Thousands of customers use the service, but Houstonian Kim Melchor didn’t even intend to.

She placed a grocery order for delivery to her elderly mom's house with Kroger. Kroger subcontracted Instacart to fill her order.

“However, when we got the products that evening, I went through a checklist with my mom to see what she had received and some of the items were missing,” Melchor explained.

When she checked the app, Melchor said she found about $60 worth of items she didn’t order that were added to her account, but not delivered.

“Two sets of twinkies, two sets of Oreos,” Melchor listed the items the Instacart shopper had added.“She had a real sweet tooth.”

When Melchor called Kroger to report the fraudulent charges, she said someone from the corporate office returned her call. She told her that she would get back in touch within the next few days, but she never did

Instacart is so swamped, Melchor was never able to reach anyone by email or phone.

“I was on hold for about four hours,” Melchor said, recalling the first night she tried to call the company. “I eventually had to go to bed.”

It’s not a one-time occurrence. On Instacart’s Facebook page, there are dozens of complaints.

Vicki wrote “I was overcharged $40! I put in complaint six days ago and have gotten no help at all.”

Another customer posted, "Double check those receipts, folks. I was charged $73.43 for chicken breasts that I didn't even get."

Still, another complained, “What a scam!!!! I purchased things for over $200 this last Thursday and the delivery was never made!!! And no one is getting back to me from customer service.”

Resolution

When KPRC 2 reached out to Kroger, Melchor had a refund in her account in about four hours. Instacart sent Melchor an apology and offered her a $70 credit and a free delivery.

Kroger told KPRC 2 the Instacart shopper is being investigated for fraud and is no longer with Instacart, and they are looking into the processes to ensure the situation can’t be repeated. Kroger also gave Melchor a $100 gift card.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: We're giving up on grocery delivery

Instacart is swamped because they are taking more orders than they can properly fill.

I do Walmart pickup, they were swamped too I'm sure but they spread out their pick up times.   I used to order in the morning, pick up in the afternoon.   Now I have to wait a day.  The number of orders per hour are limited.   There are only a finite numbers of orders Instacart can possible process.

There is no excuse for poor service, no customer service or STEALING, I don't care if we are in a pandemic.

Trusted Contributor

I guess I shouldn't complain that our area is too small for Instacart.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    Try Walmart pick up or delivery service.  I've been using the free pick up about 3 years and never a problem, certainly nothing like you describe.  There's no way they can cheat, steal or over charge.  It's free with no tipping.  A receipt is sent as soon as you accept the order.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Depends where you are located. I use Instacart and it’s great.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is a shame and I'm sorry you've had such issues. We've ordered from Kroger maybe 5 times and HEB as well. I haven't had issues at all. I got all my reciepts. I had lovely drivers whom I usually greet but stay way away from and my substitutions have for the most part been good. I may never go grocery shopping again. Kidding but it sure is easier. I have Type 1 diabetes and asthma and have found the delivery of groceries to be incredibly helpful in easing my fear of getting the virus. 

I did have one driver tell me to go to Shipt and they will deliver from other places. They also will call you about substitutions. Right now the stores are so busy they have stopped doing that but from what the driver said Shipt will do that. 

Edited to add I have not used instacart. I go through the Kroger website. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was going to try Instacart, but couldn't get a delivery date for over 3 weeks. I'm glad I abandonded the idea! I'm very fussy about what I buy, I'd be really upset if I'd asked for a particular brand of chicken breasts and got something else. 

To be honest, I'm not in one of the high risk groups and there's no reason for me to NOT go to the grocery store. The only issue I've had is the one time I was crazy enough to go to WalMart in hopes that I'd also be able to buy a couple of non-grocery items that I was looking for. Of course, they had neither in stock, even though the website said they had them. I did buy a couple of boxes of raspberries and a large carton of Greek yogurt - and had to stand in line for 45 minutes to pay for those 3 items. Never again.

I've confined my shopping to a couple of smaller, local chains and haven't had any problems getting things that I want, and haven't encountered any huge crowds. I went to the small shop that I buy meat from at times and got about 4 months worth of chicken breasts, pork chops, pork tenderloin and steaks for my freezer. All individually packaged and ready to go. A bit more expensive than Meijer, but well worth it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have ordered twice from Jewel grocery store and receive a list of everything I ordered and what was not available and it also includes a total amount for the items listed.  However, I find that they are out of a lot of items, especially the ones you want so I put on my mask and go to the grocery store.  Early evening is the best time to go (hardly anyone in the store).  It is now mandatory in our state to wear a mask outside/at a storeOur Peapod is no longer in our state due to lack of business since Jewel and Mariano's deliver.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

I also use WalMart grocery pickup and I am very happy with it. So much so that I can’t think of any reason to ever set foot in the store again! 

You can edit and add to your order - they give a cut off time for that. I usually think of something to add! I get emails with my order, another when I add more, another if something is out of stock...and when I get home, I get a final receipt. Plus, the app stores all my orders in case I want to check or reorder.

They email you when your order is ready (mine has always been ready 10-15 minutes early) and you check I’m on their app when you are leaving. They track you and know when you have arrived so you don’t sit and wait very long. I pop the trunk and they load my groceries in. I never get out of the car and am heading home in a flash! 

I considered InstCart for a local grocery store when all this started but I didn’t want to pay for delivery and it just seemed like pickup would be a better option for me. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I did pickup directly with the store.  Had to lockdown the order several days prior and indicate if any substitutions were OK.  Then the morning of I got my receipt emailed and went to pickup.

Not much matched.  Had substitutions, missing items and four things I did not order and was not charged for.  Pure potluck.