Frequent Contributor

Re: We are in the cone for Hurricane Ian

I am really scared, I am right in the cone, in Sarasota county, in a city called North Port.....I am all alone in this house as my husband passed away 8 months ago, and my son passed away of a bad heart 4 months ago......I am scared outta my wits.......being an old lady almost 80 I am afraid to take the car far,since I don't know how to travel well so I am staying in my house and just hoping for the best.......just say a prayer for this area

Esteemed Contributor

Hi hazel - do you have a sheriff's department?  You could call and ask them if there is a nearby shelter and how you can get transportation to it, if needed.  Let them know where you are and your situation.  Hoping all works out for the best for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted this on a thread below ... it bears repeating.  Ian is a monster ...

Hurricane Ian Looks Like an Absolute Beast in Satellite Images (msn.com)

NOAA's GOES-16 satellite captured this view of Hurricane Ian south of Florida on Sept. 26, 2022. CIRA/RAMMB/NOAA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hazelfaye 

@Snoopp wrote:

Hi hazel - do you have a sheriff's department?  You could call and ask them if there is a nearby shelter and how you can get transportation to it, if needed.  Let them know where you are and your situation.  Hoping all works out for the best for you.

I want you to see this, @ hazelfaye.  Call law enforcement and let them know your situation.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Hazelfaye 

@Snoopp wrote:

I want you to see this, @ hazelfaye.  Call law enforcement and let them know your situation.  

@Hazelfaye 

Please call sheriff, your county, or even 911.  I've been following this hurricane closely because of family in Fla. and the most recent tracking is now trending south of Tampa/St. Pete.  That puts your area even more at risk than before.  Please make some calls and at least know what's available if you decide to leave while you still can.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Hazelfaye 

@Snoopp wrote:

@Hazelfaye 

Please call sheriff, your county, or even 911.  I've been following this hurricane closely because of family in Fla. and the most recent tracking is now trending south of Tampa/St. Pete.  That puts your area even more at risk than before.  Please make some calls and at least know what's available if you decide to leave while you still can.

@Hazelfaye   PLEASE call your local authorities, tell them  your situation, and determine what is best for you. 

They will have recommendations as to evacuation and shelters. 

Do it now while there is still time.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Mombo1 wrote:

@fairydogmother   Hopefully you are not affected.  I just spoke to my daughter today.  They just arrived at Disney world on Friday.  Looks like this trip could be cut short.  I worry about the grandkids.  They are little and we're so excited to go on a long awaited vacation.  Unfortunately we can't control the weather.  I feel so bad for them.  
Stay safe.  

They are likely in for heavy rains in Orlando. Looks like the big hit will be the Tampa Bay area. Regardless this will probably affect their vacation. I hope they will be able to get their Disney activities in this weekend. Should be ok til beginning of the week. 

@fairydogmother    Just got a call...the family is on their way home.  The hotel could not quarantine power.  Fortunately they got in 3 days at the park.  They had to rent a car to get back because the airlines were a mess to reschedule.  Also had to purchase car booster seats for the kids before leaving.  Kids were disappointed but they understand (somewhat) 😢 that they had to leave.  Unfortunate....but they will go another time.  

Honored Contributor

Hazelfaye,

I said a prayer for your protection as well as for all in the path of the hurricane.

Please accept my condolences on your recent, painful losses.

Esteemed Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with you all and I'm keeping an eye on the weather channel to keep updated on what is happening in Florida...We are all here for you so keep us updated as to how you are doing if you are able.

I do hope that @Hazelfaye comes back to see your posts....Her post is so frantic and breaks my heart and I can't imagine an elderly woman all alone having to get through this dangerous storm by herself...Surely, living in Florida, she is aware that the local authorities are prepared to help people move to safe shelter areas so, hopefully,she is on her way to a safe shelter.

I am so hoping to see another post from her.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Phone numbers to get help are all over the TV news!   

Hopefully, she will see them and call.  There is help available for the elderly.  Some people just don't understand how to access them.  Unfortunate.

Maybe a neighbor will remember and help her.  I would be more aftaid if I were on the coast!