Honored Contributor

Call my ghoulish if you will, but does anyone else wonder what the Queen is wearing in her coffin?  

Is she in one of her colorful coats with matching hat and little black handbag on her arm.  Or perhaps they dress her in some kind of shroud?  Maybe she's covered with a brocade blanket of some sort?  What else?

I don't suppose there's any reference, not even Google, that would have this information.  It's probably secret.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.  I'm sure there is written protocol for that too!

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. I never thought of this until you posted. Now I want to know.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Funeral Attire

[ Edited ]

I wonder as well.

I just read an article about what Queen Victoria had in her casket. Plaster cast of Albert's hand, one of his dressing gowns, quite a few sentimental objects. 

edited to add: reread the article. Evidently she was decked out in as many necklaces, rings, and bracelets they could pile on her. Also her wedding veil covered her face.

Honored Contributor

She probably specified what she wanted to wear.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Funeral Attire

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Call my ghoulish if you will, but does anyone else wonder what the Queen is wearing in her coffin?  

Is she in one of her colorful coats with matching hat and little black handbag on her arm.  Or perhaps they dress her in some kind of shroud?  Maybe she's covered with a brocade blanket of some sort?  What else?

I don't suppose there's any reference, not even Google, that would have this information.  It's probably secret.

@Kachina624 

Okay, since you posted this interesting question .... I am not trying to out-ghoul you .... but .....   when was the queen embalmed?   

Ten days above ground for an un-embalmed and unrefrigerated body seems very unlikely.   Certainly she must also be "preserved" for posterity.   

Anyone have any ideas about this?

(Sorry everyone ... don't mean to be gross; it's a serious question).

Honored Contributor

My bet is that she wore her favorite casual, comfy dress.

She reportedly told her trusted 'dresser' that she never intended to leave Balmoral till she passed.

That way she could leave her crown at the gates, on her way out.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Okay, since you posted this interesting question .... I am not trying to out-ghoul you .... but .....   when was the queen embalmed?   

Ten days above ground for an un-embalmed body seems very unlikely.   Certainly she must also be "preserved" for posterity.   

I just ready somewhere today that the Queen's coffin is lined in lead wich preserves the body longer.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

She probably specified what she wanted to wear.  

@tansy    That's what I figure too.  She was so meticulous in her dress, I'm sure she had that planned.  Do you suppose she took a favorite jewel with her?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Ten days above ground for an un-embalmed body seems very unlikely.   Certainly she must also be "preserved" for posterity.   

@Tinkrbl44    I'm sure she probably was.  I did hear her oak coffin was lead lined.