Regular Contributor

To make a long story short my husband found out last October that we were moving from Ga. to Maryland.  He neve told me till a month ago because his boss was working to get him to stay here which he did.

Then comes last Friday when he came home from work and told me they had cut his orders and we had to report August 12th.  My husband retired from the military in 02 and has worked on post since then.  We bought a new home here in 96 and will have it paid off here shortly. We wanted to retire here.  We love the area.

So this past week was hell. How do you pack up and sort thru 23 years worth of stuff and what to do with the house. My son and DIL are living with us now and if he could find a job we were going to rent it to them. That was really our only option because it needs a lot of work done to get it up to standards for normal renters and less then 3 mos just wouldn't cut it so we finally decided we would just sale as is.

My daughter also lives in the area and has bi polar and we are her go to when her meds quit working.  We were going to tell her this weekend about this and see if she just didn't want to come with us.  

Well to cut this short my husbands boss went up do Aberdeen this week and pleaded our case and so did his boss who knows my husband.  It worked.  We are staying.  I cried for like 5 minutes from just relief but it still feels like a dream and anytime I will be waking up to the nightmare.  I found this out this morning.  Happy Friday.

He only had 7 more years till he hits 65 and we could not afford to stay here just on his retirement pay from military.  I am originally from Pa. but Ga. just stole my heart.  Plus I have 2 grandkids here and I would miss them so much.  

My grandson is coming over this weekend and I think my husband and I will go out and celebrate big time. (I also lost 4 pounds this week.)

Honored Contributor

@nekodaisy . I am glad this worked out for you both!
!!!! Celebrate and enjoy your grandson! 

Honored Contributor

@nekodaisy @It seems that the stars aligned perfectly in your favor...so happy for you and your family.It is really nice to hear when things work out the best for people.Relax....Enjoy the precious family time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: We are Staying!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@nekodaisy   Yay!! I’m so happy for you.Moving is very stressful especially when you don’t want to!!  

Time to celebrate!! I love happy endings !!💐🍾🥂

Respected Contributor

@nekodaisy   Thank you for sharing your story and especially since it has a happy ending so that you can continue to live where you want to.

Moving is never easy and definitely not enjoyable when it is not of your own choosing.

Respected Contributor

@nekodaisy I am so happy for you! 🙂

Honored Contributor

@nekodaisy  glad things worked out in your favor.

Now that you are staying put, you might want to think about starting to sort thru your 23 years worth of stuff!  I am sure you have seen the thread named 'what have you purged today'....it's such a great feeling to know the house is  clean (not saying you have a dirty house, ha!) and empty of the stuff you have stored thru the years.

Enjoy your celebration this weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@nekodaisy Congrats! You dodged a bullet.

I moved into a new home in 1996 also. Moved twice since then. Can't imagine moving from a house full of 22 years of accumulated stuff to a new location several states away from family and friends. The very definition of stress.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested that you join us on the What Have You Purged thread. The time to start going through your stuff is yesterday, which is true for many of us. Schedule time periods as often as possible to start seeing what you can keep and what probably should have gone a while ago. The process will take a LONG time, but keep chipping away at it. It will be helpful no matter what, but especially if this should happen again. You will be (more) ready and maybe a bit less stressed.

Esteemed Contributor

@nekodaisyGreat way to start the weekend!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Yes, Georgia would be my first choice ... so happy for you.  I live in PA and it is cold, dismal, full of potholes.   Maryland state line only three miles away from me, and not much better, except less pot holes!   Congrats.