Honored Contributor

We don't have that problem, so far. I've been using/cooking with bottled purified water because our water was smelling like algae/seaweed for about a month or so. Not any longer. Anyway, OP: Have you researched whether or not boiling your water first before using will solve that problem? My mom used to say that her mom (a hundred plus years ago, more or less) would first boil water before using it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor
On 12/30/2014 ROMARY 1 said:

We don't have that problem, so far. I've been using/cooking with bottled purified water because our water was smelling like algae/seaweed for about a month or so. Not any longer. Anyway, OP: Have you researched whether or not boiling your water first before using will solve that problem? My mom used to say that her mom (a hundred plus years ago, more or less) would first boil water before using it.

that won't get everything out of the water............unless you captured and condensed the steam to get distilled water............and distilled water isn't all that good for consumption.........plus you wouldn't have everything out of the water, mostly just particulate matter...........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor
Brita it will do nothing for bacteria or parasites like Crypto or giardia per the cdc. You need reverse osmosis with a pore size of 1 micron or less
Honored Contributor
On 12/30/2014 Lillyrose said:

Can a reverse osmosis system be purchased for in home use?

Yes! We have had a system that was in place when we moved here, and it is by Culligan. It has a number of filters inside it (maybe 4? my husband takes care of it so I'm not sure exactly), and we change them about once a year. This system is well over 20 years old, and still going strong. We are on a well with hard water and lots of iron, and with a whole house filter, water softener and this, we have really nice water by the time it reaches the faucets.

Honored Contributor

Oh, and I'd suggest a Big Berkey water filtering system if you want really clean and safe water. Lots of information and videos available online.

Respected Contributor
On 12/30/2014 mominohio said:

Yes! We have had a system that was in place when we moved here, and it is by Culligan. It has a number of filters inside it (maybe 4? my husband takes care of it so I'm not sure exactly), and we change them about once a year. This system is well over 20 years old, and still going strong. We are on a well with hard water and lots of iron, and with a whole house filter, water softener and this, we have really nice water by the time it reaches the faucets.

do you have a water softener system????????? or a reverse osmosis.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor
On 12/30/2014 raven-blackbird said:
On 12/30/2014 mominohio said:

do you have a water softener system????????? or a reverse osmosis.............................raven

Both. We have a whole house filter just past the pump, then a water softener and a Reverse osmosis system. The RO is for drinking only, and is stored in it's own tank, separate from the water pressure tank that holds the regular tap water that has been through the softener.

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much to everyone for the great ideas. I will definitely check them out and get something more substantial than just Brita.

Sad that I don't trust the water department. There is also radon in our water and they tell us outright on our water bill.

I remember how sick so many people got during the crypto episode.