Regular Contributor

Ever since the cryptosporidium outbreak in my state, I have been drinking only bottled water.

Does anyone use the Brita water filter system? How do you feel about the safety of your drinking water?

I am concerned about bacteria, chlorine, and lead. Not sure what to believe in several articles I have read!

Thank you in advance for any opinions or views. I won't be online again until 8 pm tonight.

Honored Contributor

Those people with compromised immune systems-- HIV positive for example have more to worry if contracting this parasite. The disease will linger longer in those with compromised immune systems.

I use the Brita water filters at my house to remove chlorine in my water (makes the coffee/tea taste terrible with chlorine). My drinking water comes from aquifers and it is safe.

Cryptosporidium parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very tolerant to chlorine disinfection. In other words a specific level of chlorine is needed in the water to kill it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I have an RO system. But, I take that water and then put it through a Brita filter also.

The water is my area is terrible. I don't trust it at all.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure Bria is appropriate for bacteriologically -contaminated water. We use one to reduce the chlorine taste in our water.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your responses. I have not been back on my computer for a while. Got so busy with work, Christmas, and grandchildren!

I am going to try Brita and hope for the best. I am tired of the cost and waste of bottled water.

Respected Contributor
I don't think b r I t a is going to be enough.
Respected Contributor
On 12/30/2014 Pqfan said: I don't think b r I t a is going to be enough.

it won't be...............you need a two filter system, a reverse osmosis is the best for making sure your water is safe............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Regular Contributor

Can a reverse osmosis system be purchased for in home use?

Respected Contributor
On 12/30/2014 Lillyrose said:

Can a reverse osmosis system be purchased for in home use?

sure..............they fit under the sink in the sink base cabinet.........easy to install and you can buy one at any of the big box stores, like Home Depot or Lowes..............................raven

Respected Contributor

this might help you

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/reverse-osmosis-faq