Honored Contributor

I find myself with several watches that need new batteries,I just haven't made it to the jewelers.  Do any of you change your own ? I see there are kits o Amazon, and I plan on checking out YouTube, but I wondered what your experience is with changing your own. I have a lot of watches, and I try to remember to pull the stem out when the watch is not in use, but eventually they die . TIA.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1   I take mine to Walmart...the jewelry section replaces batteries. 

Honored Contributor

I've always changed my own.

Most watches have a slot you can put a small, flat screwdriver in to pop the back off.  If there is no slot, try to get close to the stem and you can pop it off there.  

You don't need a kit from Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1   I take mine to Walmart...the jewelry section replaces batteries. 

I took a watch to have a battery replaced at Walmart. The jewelry counter person said they only do that for watches bought at Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

Before I started buying only watches that didn't require a battery, I used to take mine to the local battery store.  Even though it appeard that they mainly sold larger batteries, they very willingly changed mine.  I think back  then it cost $3 each.

Respected Contributor

Have not tried.  Take mine to Batteries Plus and they take care of replacing. They even keep track of when you replace which watch and you can get a lifetime battery for about cost of two batteries.

Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining   Interesting.... maybe it depends on the store.  I have taken my watches there for years and it didn't matter that I hadn't purchased my watch there.   

Honored Contributor

i take mine to two different jewelry stores.

one charges $5 and that money goes to a local charity.

one charges $15 (or free if you purchased the watch from them) and gives you free cookies and/or a cocktail/beer/wine while you are there.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

The Walmart stores in my area are the same - they will not change the battery unless you bought the watch there. I'm not sure how they know whether you did or not, but as long as they carry the same brand, they seem willing to change a battery. I've taken my other watches to a small clock repair shop that's close by.

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 

Our WM stopped doing watch batteries the end of last year or so.  That was my go to place now I have 4 watches waiting to go to jewelers at 3x's the price of WM☹️

The jewelry counters are closed in our WM until further notice.