Honored Contributor
Washing will help remove bacteria, including E. coli, from the surface of fruit and vegetables. Most of the bacteria will be in the soil attached to the produce. Washing to remove any soil is, therefore, particularly important.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Just soap and water, or water and scrubbrush, depending on which fruit/vegetable. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I keep a spray bottle in the kitchen, filled with 50/50 water and vinegar, shake and spray, lasts a long time. I always wait a few minutes after spraying on veges and rinse well. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Washing veges

[ Edited ]

Usually it's the leafy greens which have the most problems with contamination. That's mainly because of the pores on the leaves (stomata) shield the bacteria from getting washed away. Bacteria, for instance E.coli, go inside those pores.  Even using bleach has proven to be ineffective at decontaminating some leafy veggies. It's an ongoing public health problem.

Any type of fruit or veggie which sits on the ground before harvesting is the most vulnerable for contamination, especially the ones with rough skins, for example cantaloupe, which should be vigorously scrubbed before cutting into because the bacteria is found in the nooks and crannies of the rough surface.

Valued Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

No criticism from me.  I also wash my fresh fruit with soap but, I use the dish soap.

For my fresh veggies, I rinse with plain water.

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

I've done the same have used dish soap in my case Dawn for many years to clean fruit and veg.

I have figured if little ducks can handle it so can we lol.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@SusieQ_2 

I've done the same have used dish soap in my case Dawn for many years to clean fruit and veg.

I have figured if little ducks can handle it so can we lol.

Dawn is great for so much cleaning.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Just soap and water, or water and scrubbrush, depending on which fruit/vegetable. 

Thats what I do and then rinse, rinse, rinse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Soft things like berries and grapes, just a soak in cold water and lots of rinsing.

Things with a hard smooth skin,  like cucumbers and apples, and watermelons, and even tomatoes washed thoroughly with soap and rinsed well then dried. 

Things with a hard but textured skin, like cantaloupe, citrus, scrubbed with a brush and soap and rinsed well. 

I always peel carrots. 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs,  I love vinegar for so many things-- that vinegar solution sounds like a naturally good idea.