Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Your Car at Home

I used to wash my own car and enjoyed it. Had a caddy with all the best products I could find. Now I pay $35 a month for unlimited car washes. It's in the same town where my dad and daughter are and my Walmart so it's super handy.   I know it's not the best for my paint but it's what I have to do now to keep a clean car.

Esteemed Contributor

I still wash my car with waterless cleaner from HSN.  I get a lot of compliments on the finish.  I do the wheels with windex to get grime off.

I wipe car with rag, but don't have much dirt on it because it's so waxed with the waterless car wash from HSN.

It's a much better job than the car wash.

Respected Contributor

Our city water rates have been raised twice in the past two years; they are terribly high. Washing your own car in your driveway uses a lot of water; much more cost efficient when DH goes to the DIY and spends about $4 doing it. I think he likes doing it.

Trusted Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I used to always wash my car at home when I lived in the Midwest. 
But here in the desert, the water is so hard that my car was covered in water spots before I could finish washing one section. 

Now, I usually go to Costco or a local franchise. 

I didn't know Costco has a car wash.  Do you drive through it?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Seriously? You all don't wash your car yourself?? I'm dumbfounded. We have really nice cars that we take pride in. Yes, we always wash, wax, clean our own cars. What a waste of money paying someone to do something so easy! But it is today's society now isn't it!

Really we could all say the same thing about you washing your cars yourself.  Why do you think we do not have nice cars and take pride in our cars.  No one is mad that people choose different ways to do things.  You sound irritated for no reason.

It's to hot where I live to wash my own car. It will be over 100 degrees by 9 am. I barely walk to the mailbox let alone wash my car with the sun beating down on it. It's just easier to have someone else do it. I can't be bothered. 

Honored Contributor

Uusally we go to a Car Wash, but my husband every now and then likes to wash it at home. It takes a while, because he is a perfectionist, but it looks so good and shiny!!

I prefer at home washing versus car washes, but sometimes convenience wins out!