Honored Contributor

Re: Washer and Dryer Question?

A matched set means nothing to me.  These things are too expensive to just toss one for cosmetic reasons.  Mine are tucked behind folding doors.  Who cares if they match?  Mine don't. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would do as I always do.  I'd have it repaired if possible.

My last washer was almost 30 years old when the pump went out on it during Thanksgiving Week.

Stupid me.  I bought a new washer, but I could kick myself. Todays appliances are junk.

I still have my older dryer and plan on keeping it until it can't be fixed any longer.

I never bought a matched set...ever. I buy based on the features I want, not how pretty they look in the laundry room.

Trusted Contributor

We have been in our home for 42 years.  We are using our original dryer, and the second washing machine.  I have had the dryer repaired once.  I don't care if they don't match.  I also don't think that a replacement dryer would last 42+ years.

Honored Contributor

My late husband could fix everything.

He was amazing.  He once replaced the heating elements in our dryer.

It wasn't easy and it took awhile but he did it.

My advice is to first see how long it would take to get a new one.

Accordingto most things I see, it is very difficult to get appliances right now.

Check to see if one is available, FOR SURE.

NOT one that's promised.  My friend's husband redoes kitchens.  His advice is to expectappliances to take 6 or more months.

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

We have been in our home for 42 years.  We are using our original dryer, and the second washing machine.  I have had the dryer repaired once.  I don't care if they don't match.  I also don't think that a replacement dryer would last 42+ years.

@mac116    I have all the ancient "originals", too.    Kinda makes me nervous....because I think they will all fail at one time...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Sg1957 wrote:

If your washer or dryer broke, who you just replace the broken appliance

or would you get a matched set?

This is so subjective.  Doesn't it depend on your individual needs at the time?  Finances and more?  I don't think I could answer this question unless it is happening in the moment....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I just replaced my washer & dryer this past summer & I did go for a GE matched pair. 

My old Maytag dryer was 19 years old & was starting to not do such a good job anymore.  The Maytag washer that I had gotten with the dryer had died at about the 9 year mark & I replaced it with a Maytag Bravos HE top loader, which I was never all that crazy about.  I never thought it got my laundry as clean as it should, because it didn't use enough water. 

The GE washer I got has a Deep Fill/Deep Rinse option & it seems to get things way cleaner.  I went with a gas dryer this time as the gas was already plumbed in behind where the dryer goes in my house.  I'd never had a gas dryer before, though my mom did when I was a little kid, but I was too young to know much about it.  I love my gas dryer & I'm sorry I waited so long to get one!

Super Contributor

@On It, that’s what I did the last time my washer died. (I am on my third in this condo in 27 years). The ancient dryer was still working fine, but styles had changed so much a new washer would not really have fit in my small laundry room with that style of dryer. I donated the dryer to a local charity. For all I know, it is still working! This was about 2009. My giant Bosch front loader washer and dryer are still going strong. Knock on wood!
Respected Contributor

Depends.  When my washer went out last year I purchased a new washer only and dryer and  washer were both not that old but the washer wasn't worth fixing and cost more than a new one.  

Prior to that I bought both new and washer gave out but dryer still working but pretty old so got a special on purchase of  both.  I think your deals are better when buy both.

Matching is nice but not a big deal for me and I buy them in white anyway and look the same.  My washroom is off by itself and not out in the open where anyone can see anyway.  I am all about the performance and will not every go back to a laundromat.  Been there and done that.

The washer I did get I like so much better and cleans the clothes better too.  The salesman was right on this one.  I also purchased from a local appliance store that had been around for years and gives good service as well.  Set up was quick and last time I did not buy from this place and the clown who set it all took all day.  

Honored Contributor

@Sg1957 wrote:

If your washer or dryer broke, who you just replace the broken appliance

or would you get a matched set?

My washer and dryer are in my cat's bedroom. 

After carefully questioning him about his preferences, I've decided that I'd replace the failed piece and keep the other until it failed too.

I have a front loading, non agitator high efficiency machine that's the BEST washing machine I've ever owned. It's part of a stacked set and the capacity is HUGE and VERY EFFICIENT.