Occasional Contributor

If your washer or dryer broke, who you just replace the broken appliance

or would you get a matched set?

Valued Contributor

Re: Washer and Dryer Question?

[ Edited ]

i would repair or replace the broken appliance.  it not important to me that they match only that they are functional.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Repair or replace the broken appliance. 

Edit: Exactly! @mizree 

Oops...my onions are burning.bye!

Edit to add:   way down on message 25 OP clarified her position on this subject/her post.

Suggest readers scroll down...

Honored Contributor

if one of the set was old and too expensive to repair, i would get a brand new matched set of two.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Replace the one that is broken and keep the working appliance. What difference does it make if they don't match. Save your money.

Respected Contributor

I would replace them both, but I would donate the working appliance to a charity or thrift store. It has been my experience when one of them fails the other is not far behind. If they are not replaced together you will probably always have a mismatched set.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had my washer and dryer for almost 20 years. If one of the appliances broke down, and could not be repaired I would replace the set, and like someone earlier mentioned, donate the working appliance.

Esteemed Contributor

Replace the set!!

Super Contributor

It would depend on how old the appliance that was still working was.  I recently replaced my front loading washing machine, which I had bought with the matching dryer about 5 years ago.  I hated that washer and replaced it with a deep fill top loader.   I thought about buying a matching set, but the dryer still worked perfectly.   If the set had been older, I may have replaced them both.   In my experience, the dryer always outlasts the washer. 

Respected Contributor

@lavenderfields wrote:

It would depend on how old the appliance that was still working was.  I recently replaced my front loading washing machine, which I had bought with the matching dryer about 5 years ago.  I hated that washer and replaced it with a deep fill top loader.   I thought about buying a matching set, but the dryer still worked perfectly.   If the set had been older, I may have replaced them both.   In my experience, the dryer always outlasts the washer. 

The dryer usually outlasts the washer. Goodwill does not take appliances and I don't know of any other charities that do. So in all likelihood the working appliance that is discarded will end up in a landfill. Sad that we have become a throw away society.