Frequent Contributor

Re: Wash the dishes, do the laundry and take a shower. If nearby cone, will probably lose power.

@Mindy D
Fantastic help, suggestions! I would suggest that you forward this info of yours to the Emergency Preparedness Agency. I would only add filling washing machine with water. Some have filled 30 gallon garbage cans (clean/new) with water. They are sitting in garage.
Respected Contributor

Re: Wash the dishes, do the laundry and take a shower. If nearby cone, will probably lose power.

@Mz iMac wrote:

You left out the "old school" can openers.  Just in case some of ya'll forgot what they look like.....

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at Sun, Sep 1, 2019-6.44.52 PM.png

It's in the list as "NON ELECTRIC CAN OPENER." I am glad I do not live an area with extreme weather. Hope everyone who is the storm's path stays safe.

Valued Contributor

Last load of laundry in.  Dishes all done.  Floors cleaned.   I remember the mess drom prior years and won't make that mistake again!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

You left out the "old school" can openers.  Just in case some of ya'll forgot what they look like.....

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at Sun, Sep 1, 2019-6.44.52 PM.png

No I didn’t. This is on the list. We have four of them. Bottle cap openers need to be added when I get a chance.

Honored Contributor

@Kimnola wrote:
@Mindy D
Fantastic help, suggestions! I would suggest that you forward this info of yours to the Emergency Preparedness Agency. I would only add filling washing machine with water. Some have filled 30 gallon garbage cans (clean/new) with water. They are sitting in garage.

When we are expecting a direct hit, I do way more. I didn’t take the time to go into my water filling routine. I bleach clean my giant jacuzzi and two bath tubs and fill with water plusi fill all my stock pots and all my stock pots and two five gallon water jugs. I don’t like to fill my washer. Just a personal preference. Right now, I only have bottled water and one giant stock pot full of water. If we need more we can drive south a bit and pick some up. The worst part of drupiving after a storm is that the traffic lights are out and there are accidents, so I would only do that if I have no choice. All local Pubix markets have giant generators now, so we will have groceries and other necessities coming in for deliveries. This would not be the case if it were a direct hit because roads would be locked with fallen trees and debris so trucks can’t get through.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Last load of laundry in.  Dishes all done.  Floors cleaned.   I remember the mess drom prior years and won't make that mistake again!

Me too. Just finished last load. We will still have garbage pick up early tomorrow, so that’s going out now. Use up frozen and refrigerated food if it looks like power will go. You might need to precook so you can eat it before you lose power. 

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Me too. Just finished last load. We will still have garbage pick up early tomorrow, so that’s going out now. Use up frozen and refrigerated food if it looks like power will go. You might need to precook so you can eat it before you lose power. 

We have thr grill ready to cook all our freezer food.  I am feeling better about this.

Honored Contributor

They sell cell phone chargers you can plug into your car lighter.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D @colliemom4 @Warrior2022 @SunValley @Kimnola 

Good luck getting through this hurricane. 

Saying 🙏🏻 and crossing fingers for all affected.🌀

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 wrote:

They sell cell phone chargers you can plug into your car lighter.

We always buy the car chargers. Thanks for adding to the tips.