Super Contributor

Re: Wash the dishes, do the laundry and take a shower. If nearby cone, will probably lose power.

We are in 'the cone'.-UGH!!!!

Top of my list: move-north and inland, preferably New England (home, sweet home) or the Smoky Mountains.

I can deal with snow and ice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wash the dishes, do the laundry and take a shower. If nearby cone, will probably lose power.

Ladies, if you have meat, ice cream, or anything else in your freezer that will make a mess if it melts, put it into garbage bags and seal.  Then if you lose electricity for an extended period, you can simply carry ruined food outside to the garbage can.  If all goes well with no loss of power, just remove it from the bags and return it to the freezer.  I lost a perfectly good freezer after Katrina because the blood, etc. from stuff that melted ran into parts of the freezer that couldn't be cleaned.  So the freezer still worked, but the smell was unbearable and permanent, coming from parts of the equipment that could not be accessed for cleaning. Now we all know better.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Ladies, if you have meat, ice cream, or anything else in your freezer that will make a mess if it melts, put it into garbage bags and seal.  Then if you lose electricity for an extended period, you can simply carry ruined food outside to the garbage can.  If all goes well with no loss of power, just remove it from the bags and return it to the freezer.  I lost a perfectly good freezer after Katrina because the blood, etc. from stuff that melted ran into parts of the freezer that couldn't be cleaned.  So the freezer still worked, but the smell was unbearable and permanent, coming from parts of the equipment that could not be accessed for cleaning. Now we all know better.

GREAT TIP. WISH I THOUGHT OF THIS FOR IRMA. What a joy to not have to clean up a gross freezer. I will definitely be using this tip in the future. I’ll do the same with the cold foods. No mess, no smell, no drips! GENIUS.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mindy D @colliemom4 @Warrior2022 @SunValley @Kimnola 

Good luck getting through this hurricane. 

Saying 🙏🏻 and crossing fingers for all affected.🌀

Amen, @LTT1.❤️

Thank you for this wonderfully helpful thread, @Mindy D, and also for the other threads you've posted sharing in-depth info about this frightening storm.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mindy D @colliemom4 @Warrior2022 @SunValley @Kimnola 

Good luck getting through this hurricane. 

Saying 🙏🏻 and crossing fingers for all affected.🌀

Amen, @LTT1.❤️

Thank you for this wonderfully helpful thread, @Mindy D, and also for the other threads you've posted sharing in-depth info about this frightening storm.❤️

I’d like to pile on here as well. Wishing you all safe passage through Dorian’s winds and water!  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Great advice for anyone who might lose power!

A few things to add:

They recommend a gallon of drinking water per day for each person - for drinking, brushing teeth, and possibly bathing. It's a good idea to have this early, as stores will run out of them quickly. 

Get your dog and cat carriers ready! If you don't have your pets chipped or identified in an easy way, write your name and cell phone in permanent marker on a collar and put it around their necks - even if they don't like to wear them! I would NEVER leave my home without my kitties!

Good luck and prayers to everyone in the way of the hurricane! 

Trusted Contributor

Great list....probably a good idea to be organized with most of these items all the time, that way your not stressing about all this when the time comes.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D    Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Great advice for anyone who might lose power!

A few things to add:

They recommend a gallon of drinking water per day for each person - for drinking, brushing teeth, and possibly bathing. It's a good idea to have this early, as stores will run out of them quickly. 

And water is needed for flushing toilets.  Very important, and everyone always seems to forget to mention it.