Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Went to Walmart this morning early.  Doing my shopping and got a 12 oz. can of Starkist solid white albacore tune. Shelf marked $3.76. Picked up a 3.63 oz. milkyway candy bar. Shelf marked $1,64. Also wanted to buy a 9 oz. package of Hillshire Farms roast turkey, low sodium lunchmeat today as they had none last week. There were about 6 packs all dated sell by June 29. Passed on that. Not good. Checked out and came home. The tuna was actually now $4.12 and the candy bar was $1.68. I know 40 cents isn't much, but how many people does it happen to in the course of a day and it adds up in Walmart's favor, though I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Anyhow, came home went to their wesite to email them, got all the way thru and "sorry, we're having technical issues, try later" Called twice to the store and no one ever answered the phone. I will be taking my receipt back with me next week.

Take the receipt back and get your 40 cents.  It there price is incorrect on the shelf tag then they have to refund you.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 

Our WM hardly has updated prices on items.  For instance, the big sign above mayo read $4.34 but shelf price reflected $3.84.

WM is notorious for not just a few penny increase but 50 cents to $1.

If I shop there I always use the app price checker and sometimes that's wrong too!

Lately, I've been shopping Publix or Winn Dixie much better prices and sales.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

On way out of Wal-Mart I noted in the center aisle on a display someone had placed a gallon of milk.  It was already warm and I hope it's not put back in case.  What a lazy slob to do this!  It must be horrible to see this day in and day out.  What waste!

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The story here is that we allow people to steal and it's fine,  people apparently don't need jobs and it's fine, and we have useless laws and no control over what goes on in the USA now. Anarchy reigns.  

What? The OP didn't steal anything! She just wanted a price adjustment from Walmart management.

@Porcelain Where one earth did you get that from what I wrote?Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

40 cents might not be much for some but is huge for people who are struggling or are poor. It can make or break a lot of people, young to old.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@catter70 In grocery stores in CT, and I'm sure that includes WalMart, if an item (food) rings up for more than price on the shelf, or advertised price, that item is free, up to a $20 value.  If you have 2 or more of the same item, the first one is free.  On the subsequent items, you get the difference of the overcharged price.  There are signs posted in-store regarding this policy.  You may want to check your store, probably at the courtesy desk.  I can remember one time I purchased an item that was advertised $7.98 and was charged $7.99.  Went to the courtesy desk for a refund which I got.  Needless to say the clerk wasn't too happy.  Kept telling me, "it's only a penny".  Better in my pocket than theirs.  BTW-  if this is your store policy, complain at the courtesy desk, don't correct the cashier.  The cashier can't refund your money.  The courtesy desk can.  

I wouldn't have done anything over a penny.  Not worth the hassle.

Valued Contributor

Some people have commented that $.40 isn't much and not worth getting upset over, and they're right.  But sometimes it's not the money but the principle of the thing.

I can understand that having to change shelf prices in today's economy is a thankless job but at least have the self check machines working so you know how much things will actually cost at checkout.  

Imagine multiplying that $.40 times hundreds of people in just one store over the course of a day and multiply that by the number of stores it happens in.  Then, and this is my personal opinion and whether you agree or not, I think it is worth getting upset over when that money is coming out of my/your pocket.

Not everyone is in a position where they can just put things into their cart and not worry about what the total ends up being at checkout.

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

Some people have commented that $.40 isn't much and not worth getting upset over, and they're right.  But sometimes it's not the money but the principle of the thing.

I can understand that having to change shelf prices in today's economy is a thankless job but at least have the self check machines working so you know how much things will actually cost at checkout.  

Imagine multiplying that $.40 times hundreds of people in just one store over the course of a day and multiply that by the number of stores it happens in.  Then, and this is my personal opinion and whether you agree or not, I think it is worth getting upset over when that money is coming out of my/your pocket.

Not everyone is in a position where they can just put things into their cart and not worry about what the total ends up being at checkout.

@Melzie - I hear what you're saying and agree, to a point.  

I don't shop at Walmart for groceries and I don't know what a self-check machine is as they don't have them at Publix, where I shop, but I can't personally imagine checking every single item in my cart at the self check thing or remembering every single price on every single item when I get to checkout and notice whether something is a few cents off.  I'm just not that talented, LOL.

I will notice if something is substantially off.  And if I notice a discrepancy while I'm checking out, if I happen to remember a price, I will certainly mention it right then. 

I am thankful, and I mean that totally seriously,  that a store is open and has something to sell me so that I can eat.  With all the staffing issues during the pandemic that still continue and supply chain issues and the empty shelves we have all seen, again, I am just thankful they are open and I can buy something.  

While it would be a "nice to have" for all the prices on the shelf match what rings up at the cash register or the self check machine thing, I just don't think it's physically possible to manage all that right now.  And I just don't get upset about it.  Again, just for me, I just don't let it bother me.

My time and gas are worth something and I'm just not going to go stand in line at the courtesy counter at the store when something rings up one cent off or a few cents off.  Now, if I thought a store was intentionally trying to do that, across the board, that's a different story. But, at least where I shop, I don't feel that's the case so I'm going to give a little grace on nominal price discrepancies. I think everyone is just doing their best during very strained times. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I will shop at WM and I use a cashier.  I'm too busy unloading (and then loading the bagged things back in) to notice prices as they're being scanned.  I do, however, check my receipt when I get home.  Shockingly, I very rarely find an error in the price that was scanned and what was marked on the shelf.  I can't remember every price but there's always several items I want to check to make sure I got it at the price that was marked on the shelf. 

I will finish up my groceries at Meijer and that's normally where I find the errors.  I've taken the receipt back a couple of times and gotten refunded but most of the time, I let it go.  Even though Meijer is a little more expensive, I much prefer shopping there as they have wider aisles, a cleaner store and much better produce and meat.  They also keep it stocked really well.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Melzie wrote:

@Melzie - I hear what you're saying and agree, to a point.  

I don't shop at Walmart for groceries and I don't know what a self-check machine is as they don't have them at Publix, where I shop, but I can't personally imagine checking every single item in my cart at the self check thing or remembering every single price on every single item when I get to checkout and notice whether something is a few cents off.  I'm just not that talented, LOL.

I will notice if something is substantially off.  And if I notice a discrepancy while I'm checking out, if I happen to remember a price, I will certainly mention it right then. 

I am thankful, and I mean that totally seriously,  that a store is open and has something to sell me so that I can eat.  With all the staffing issues during the pandemic that still continue and supply chain issues and the empty shelves we have all seen, again, I am just thankful they are open and I can buy something.  

While it would be a "nice to have" for all the prices on the shelf match what rings up at the cash register or the self check machine thing, I just don't think it's physically possible to manage all that right now.  And I just don't get upset about it.  Again, just for me, I just don't let it bother me.

My time and gas are worth something and I'm just not going to go stand in line at the courtesy counter at the store when something rings up one cent off or a few cents off.  Now, if I thought a store was intentionally trying to do that, across the board, that's a different story. But, at least where I shop, I don't feel that's the case so I'm going to give a little grace on nominal price discrepancies. I think everyone is just doing their best during very strained times. 

Well said @gidgetgh .  Your last paragraph sums it up.  It's not worth the time and effort to stand in line and wait to save a few cents.  I also don't think that stores are intentionally trying to rip customers off for a few cents.