Honored Contributor

I'm much more concerned about the 6 packages of Turkey that expired a month before.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I know it all adds up, but I basically buy the same things every week.  I really don't pay attention to the price on the shelf vs. what rings up as the cashier is scanning the items.  I'm too busy putting things on the belt and getting my credit card out and moving forward to get to the credit card thingy.  I just don't pay that close attention. Maybe I should, but my hat is off to all of you who can remember every single shelf price.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

The Walmart closet to me is having major staffing issues.  For a month now they are doing no curbside or delivery.  Freight is stacked shoulder height along all the main isles and about half of the clothing department.  A lot of the shelves are empty because the freight is on the floor in boxes.

They don't have enough employees to do the online shopping, do price changes, stock the shelves, etc.  It's a big mess there.

Respected Contributor

One good reason to do the self checkout...you can see what each item rings up. I, unfortunately, went to the closest Walmart this afternoon and I noticed many things ring up far more than what is posted. I hate that. Their prices are higher than Kroger now. It is not as much about the money as it is being lied to about how much they are charging. Someone paying cash may not have enough cash to pay for everything. I wanted eggs, but they were only selling two cartons taped together, so no way to know how many might be broken, so I passed. The WM by us is just awful. On the rare occasion I need to go to WM, I take a 20 minute drive to another one that is clean and not packed with too many non-shoppers in the store. I figured out today that there were several teen-aged girls, full makeup, hair meticulously braided,  and wearing thong shorts...wandering around the store, to see and be seen. Some of them hooked some guys ( or vice-versa) who looked quite a bit older than them, and I wonder if this is how some of the human trafficking happens...we get Amber Alerts almost every morning now. The girls usually go with the guys willingly, then learn they are being enslaved after they leave the state.  

Respected Contributor

My trip to WM, I had a list of 9 things I needed...I found five of them. Nothing to even substitute for the things they didn't have on my list. 

Trusted Contributor

Our local Publix got themselves into hot water by having the checkout scales at the cashiers weigh items MUCH heavier than what their label says (meat, poultry, fish) and produce where you weigh the item on a scale. Talking almost double the cost for pricer products.  Initially customers were told they were "imagining" things  and management was a tad rude. Well, those same customers put it out on our private FB page WITH PICTURES and suddenly you had many who live here stating the same thing. 

The manager is now gone and if a customer states a weight is off, everything stops and someone comes and walks WITH the customer so they can check everything.

We don't know how long this has been going on because when you're buying a lot of product/items, you may not catch it. It is surmised that Publix would have been able to continue the practice but got greedy with the meat and yeah, you're going to notice a $25 steak costing $60. 

Keep on top of it, folks. Greed knows NO bounds.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh and @catter70   I'm thinking that whoever made the sticker with the expiration date of June 29 actually meant it to be July 29 since OP said there was none of the turkey on her visit the previous week.  It probably was an error as I doubt the expired turkey could remain there almost a month without someone bringing it to their attention plus the fact that there was none the previous week.  Hopefully that is the answer.

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I found packages of pita bread in front of the deli counter at Albertsons that were a week out of date...I told the deli manager who wa slicing turkey for me and he thanked me for letting him know. When I went back a week later, the same pita bread was there, then two weeks out of date. Expiration dates are a big deal to me, but don't matter at all to some people. If the milk I am pouring has chunks in it, I toss it! 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Went to Walmart this morning early.  Doing my shopping and got a 12 oz. can of Starkist solid white albacore tune. Shelf marked $3.76. Picked up a 3.63 oz. milkyway candy bar. Shelf marked $1,64. Also wanted to buy a 9 oz. package of Hillshire Farms roast turkey, low sodium lunchmeat today as they had none last week. There were about 6 packs all dated sell by June 29. Passed on that. Not good. Checked out and came home. The tuna was actually now $4.12 and the candy bar was $1.68. I know 40 cents isn't much, but how many people does it happen to in the course of a day and it adds up in Walmart's favor, though I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Anyhow, came home went to their wesite to email them, got all the way thru and "sorry, we're having technical issues, try later" Called twice to the store and no one ever answered the phone. I will be taking my receipt back with me next week.

This is chronic at Walmart.  Things are never in the right place, most do not have price tags.  During Christmas I asked the manager to sell me the items according to the price on the shelf.  I had one manager just change the price another incident a manager walked with me and she sold it to me for what the sign said. There were several items in the wrong place and the manager made to effort to change them. These items were in the toy department.  You also have to watch the self check out I had an item ring up for 22.00 when it was a 3.99 item.  They took out all the scanners where you could check the price as you shop where I live.  An employee told me I can put the app on my phone and scan.  I told him why would I do that? I do not walk around with my phone when I am shopping.  I am slowly doing grocery shopping at other stores.  Very few cashiers at Walmart.  People with a full cart find them selves scanning their whole cart.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

The Walmart closet to me is having major staffing issues.  For a month now they are doing no curbside or delivery.  Freight is stacked shoulder height along all the main isles and about half of the clothing department.  A lot of the shelves are empty because the freight is on the floor in boxes.

They don't have enough employees to do the online shopping, do price changes, stock the shelves, etc.  It's a big mess there.

Yesterday, Saturday, the closest grocery store to my house, had only one employee to check out. Saturday at about 12 noon is such a busy time. And they only had one cashier showing up to work.

Then you see where people in stores are just walking out with merchandise. There was a picture today, a guy walked out of BJs with $5,000 of Rogaine. 

You can't go into any store with tons of signs saying that they are hiring.

PS - I stopped at a Dollar Tree today because I needed birthday cards. There was one cashier. She was the manager of the store. She was the only cashier for the past 3 hours. She kept hoping someone else would show up. At least there was a kid there to stock the shelves. He was also on the look out for hopefully another employee showing up.