Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart self check-out only?

My store does this because they were so short staffed during the stay at home orders.  I hate using the  self check when I have a basket full.  I do hope  they get back to their regular checkers soon.

Respected Contributor

This is what Walmart is doing now with the virus? Besides the shopping cart the part of a store that has the most germs is self check out.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I used to use self check out all the time because for me it was faster.  I started doing grocery pick up about a year ago after knee surgery and that is what I continue to do.  It is easier for me, and with what is going on for me it is just better. Also I don't impulse buy like I used too.

We all have our preferences and what works well for one person doesn't work as well for something else.

For me the grocery pickup has been a lifesaver even before I heard the term COVID.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never used self check out....so how does this work when you have codes for vegetables.....and  when you have coupons...

Valued Contributor

There was a couple caught at one of our Walmarts who used the self check out, and they used a taco seasoning pack over the scan bar of some (I believe it was meat and some household goods) but the price as scanned as .99 for them. I think a lot more scams will happen with the self check outs

cookin

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

A variation of this will probably work. We had something called scan,bag and go until the pandemic hit. You used a small device to scan and bag your items as you shopped. I only used it when buying a few items.

At Sam's Club, I use their app to check out as I shop. I really like it because it eliminates having to wait in line to check out.

@deeva 

Our grocery store, HEB, also has that app to scan, bag, and go...my sister loves it.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I am old school, I like to checkout with a human being! I am not confident in my ability at self checkout, I'll only do it if I have to and when I only have a couple of items. I also feel this takes jobs away from people who need one, usually there is only one worker at the self checkout to help if you need it.

Honored Contributor

Im all for this at Walmart because they only have 2 or 3 registers open with a cashier and the lines are so long.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

I only use self check out. I hate using a cashier. (And, yes, I am "older").

There are 2 main reasons:

First, I prefer to bag my own grocercies. I am tired of cans being bagged with produce, etc. If I go through a  line and a bagger comes up, I have to insist to bag my own and sometimes they insist and I have to insist back. So, it is just easier to go thru self scan and not deal with the argument.

I also bag to "location" in the house...some items go in the pantry and I prefer those togerther so I can bring the bag into the pantry and unload. Same with freezer and fridge items. I have a freezer in the basement and I prefer those items together (bring the bag straight downstairs) and the upstairs fridge and freezer items in another bag. It is just more efficient for me.

Second, in almost every trip, there are items that scan the wrong price or a sale does not appear. If I am scanning myself, I can see it right away and get it fixed on the spot. When using a cashier, it is hard to catch the price until I see the receipt. Then I have to go to the customer service desk. It happens more than you would think.

I am pretty quick going through self-scan and like it so much better. But, I also feel that there should be a choice. Cashiers should be available.

Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have never used self check out....so how does this work when you have codes for vegetables.....it when you have coupons...

All the produce have codes. There is a "lookup" on the screen (or it is on a sticker on the item).  Our produce dept has scales in the dept that you can place your item on the scale and select the item and it prints out a scannable label that you scan at the checkout. If you buy the same produce over and over again, you begin to remember the numbers.

Coupons scan at the end and it pretty easy as well.