Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,569
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

 


@CalminHeart wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

 


@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
Most stores have multiple self checkouts and have for many years now.

Walmart pays their employees very low wages, and they are known for very poor labor practices.

@Greeneyedlady21    Wal-Mart pays employees commiserate with their skills and experience.  They employ thousands who have little of either and who otherwise would have no job opportunities.

 

Can you cite an example of a poor labor practice?  Their employees are happy enough that the company has survived for years without unionization.


 

Government statistics show that about 14,500 WalMart employees receive government assistance. McDonalds has 8,700 on government assistance. With the profits both companies make, that's enough proof for me.


@CalminHeart    Unfortunately for many workers, wages are not based on their ability to reproduce.  Considering the total number employed by these stores, that's a relatively small number.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,954
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Ainhisg   I actually like to do grocery shopping. I would  never ask a stranger to pick out groceries for me as they have no idea how I shop, what I look for while I'm there. Some items I try to bargain shop for ie what's on sale when I happen to be there, what off-brand names of items I may be looking for. Some items are a must for brand names, others maybe not so much but again it depends on what I need at any given time. As well, a lower price or on-sale items that I may not even have on my list may go into my cart. 

 

Meats & produce never would I trust a stranger to choose my fresh fruits, veggies, nor types of meats I may be looking for. I just cannot imagine doing this.

 

Good for you for trusting others to do your grocery shopping. This concept is not at all for me. I'm glad I can do this for myself. My husband enjoys shopping for groceries alone and with me. Yes he goes alone at times and does a great job of it too. If he does this it's usually because he's shoopping for certain items to create in the kitchen.

 

As well, good for corporate to keep these employees on the payroll and use them in other ways. However if I were one of these employees, to do someone else's grocery shopping would not be what I would want to do. If this would be my ONLY choice of (new) job just to stay at a Walmart for a paycheck, I'd have to really think about this offer. And please do not condemn me for being choosy about keeping my job or moving on to another job elsewhere.


It appears you have never ordered groceries online. You do know that you pick out the brand and size of item you want, don't you? And since this thread is about WM, they don't have sales on items unless it's in the crash and dent section (as I call it), day-old bread section, or meat that is ready to expire...nothing that you would be interested in (it sounds like). And I'm not asking anyone to pick out my groceries; they are willingly being paid to do so by a company.

 

As I said in my post, I buy some of my fruit and vegetables as well as most of my meat at locally-owned stores, but a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage is a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage, and a yellow onion is a yellow onion no matter where you buy it, so 🤷‍♀️. You do you. 

 

My point in responding to your post was to let you know that no jobs have been lost. I thought you would be glad to know this. And then I went ahead and explained how the employees were assigned new jobs being pickers or delivering groceries to vehicles. I added that I enjoyed using this service. 

I really have no clue what your last sentence means. I guess you're referring to a hypothetical situation of you working at WM. I just hope you never find your husband and yourself limited by mobility issues at the same time and unable to walk far, because since you "can't imagine" letting someone else shop for you, what will you do then?

 

Like I said, you do you! Have a nice evening!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,673
Registered: ‎07-10-2011

Re: Walmart checkouts

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Ainhisg   I actually like to do grocery shopping. I would  never ask a stranger to pick out groceries for me as they have no idea how I shop, what I look for while I'm there. Some items I try to bargain shop for ie what's on sale when I happen to be there, what off-brand names of items I may be looking for. Some items are a must for brand names, others maybe not so much but again it depends on what I need at any given time. As well, a lower price or on-sale items that I may not even have on my list may go into my cart. 

 

Meats & produce never would I trust a stranger to choose my fresh fruits, veggies, nor types of meats I may be looking for. I just cannot imagine doing this.

 

Good for you for trusting others to do your grocery shopping. This concept is not at all for me. I'm glad I can do this for myself. My husband enjoys shopping for groceries alone and with me. Yes he goes alone at times and does a great job of it too. If he does this it's usually because he's shoopping for certain items to create in the kitchen.

 

As well, good for corporate to keep these employees on the payroll and use them in other ways. However if I were one of these employees, to do someone else's grocery shopping would not be what I would want to do. If this would be my ONLY choice of (new) job just to stay at a Walmart for a paycheck, I'd have to really think about this offer. And please do not condemn me for being choosy about keeping my job or moving on to another job elsewhere.


It appears you have never ordered groceries online. You do know that you pick out the brand and size of item you want, don't you? And since this thread is about WM, they don't have sales on items unless it's in the crash and dent section (as I call it), day-old bread section, or meat that is ready to expire...nothing that you would be interested in (it sounds like). And I'm not asking anyone to pick out my groceries; they are willingly being paid to do so by a company.

 

As I said in my post, I buy some of my fruit and vegetables as well as most of my meat at locally-owned stores, but a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage is a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage, and a yellow onion is a yellow onion no matter where you buy it, so 🤷‍♀️. You do you. 

 

My point in responding to your post was to let you know that no jobs have been lost. I thought you would be glad to know this. And then I went ahead and explained how the employees were assigned new jobs being pickers or delivering groceries to vehicles. I added that I enjoyed using this service. 

I really have no clue what your last sentence means. I guess you're referring to a hypothetical situation of you working at WM. I just hope you never find your husband and yourself limited by mobility issues at the same time and unable to walk far, because since you "can't imagine" letting someone else shop for you, what will you do then?

 

Like I said, you do you! Have a nice evening!


@Ainhisg  guess some don't realize that some people do this as a Profession. They are called "personal shoppers".

 

Right now Sam's and Walmart are advertising for Personal Shoppers and yes it pays. Oh wow, it's not just the two Companies I mentioned.

 

I just remember I have seen name tags marked "Personal Shopper". I needed help with something but once I saw the tag I went to get help from someone else.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,648
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I've yet to try self-checkout.   I think it's kind of like when you could first pump your own gas.  It was quite a while before I ever tried that.  Been doing it for a while now, but now that I have more physical problems including ands and wrists it's become rather painful.   

 

So, I think I'm doing the same thing, subconsciously, about the self-checkout thing and will probably have to get there at some point but I am not in any hurry.   I enjoy the bit of interraction with cashiers.  That said, however , I've never had one say stuff like what some of you have experienced.  That would be a turn off.

 

Usually, it is I who recommends a product in the course of checking out.  It'll just be something like - if you love coconut lke I do, you will LOVE this product.  They always seem to be glad to take the recommendations and it's fun.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,815
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Kachina624 wrote:

 


@CalminHeart wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

 


@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
Most stores have multiple self checkouts and have for many years now.

Walmart pays their employees very low wages, and they are known for very poor labor practices.

@Greeneyedlady21    Wal-Mart pays employees commiserate with their skills and experience.  They employ thousands who have little of either and who otherwise would have no job opportunities.

 

Can you cite an example of a poor labor practice?  Their employees are happy enough that the company has survived for years without unionization.


 

Government statistics show that about 14,500 WalMart employees receive government assistance. McDonalds has 8,700 on government assistance. With the profits both companies make, that's enough proof for me.


@CalminHeart    Unfortunately for many workers, wages are not based on their ability to reproduce.  Considering the total number employed by these stores, that's a relatively small number.


 

Many of those 14,500 and others who work at Walmart are part-timers who work 2-3 parttime jobs, no benefits, trying to get by. You and I end up paying their medical bills, power bills, etc etc  (higher costs) while they suffer and struggle and the corporation rakes in record profits.

 

JMO, any company that can't pay better wages should face huge tax penalties and/or other consequences that really hurt their bank accounts.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,466
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

They just replaced the self-checkouts in my Walmart and that has everyone a bit confused. You used to have to tell the machine you were done and select a payment option. I kept trying to get that screen to come up, but there is no payment option screen any longer. You just swipe your card or insert your cash when you're done, and the machine assumes that's how you want to pay. It makes sense. It should also be faster. It's a little confusing the first time you run into it, and the display just stops showing the things you're used to seeing. 

 

Until now you had to tell the checkout you were done, select your payment option, with some options hidden on sub-menus, then checkout. Now you just finish scanning and swipe your card. Faster, easier, and simpler, once you know that's how it works now. When you don't know that's how it works now, you're like me trying to get up the old screens. Tapping here and there and everywhere and nothing happens. From now on it should be even faster checking out at the self-checkouts. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 622
Registered: ‎08-29-2013

This is by no means unique to Walmart.  It's a national trend among retailers.  All the grocery chains, Target etc. have been doing it.  Personally, I like it because of my germaphobe tendencies, I don't like that the human cashier has to touch every single item I buy.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,673
Registered: ‎07-10-2011

@gardenman wrote:

They just replaced the self-checkouts in my Walmart and that has everyone a bit confused. You used to have to tell the machine you were done and select a payment option. I kept trying to get that screen to come up, but there is no payment option screen any longer. You just swipe your card or insert your cash when you're done, and the machine assumes that's how you want to pay. It makes sense. It should also be faster. It's a little confusing the first time you run into it, and the display just stops showing the things you're used to seeing. 

 

Until now you had to tell the checkout you were done, select your payment option, with some options hidden on sub-menus, then checkout. Now you just finish scanning and swipe your card. Faster, easier, and simpler, once you know that's how it works now. When you don't know that's how it works now, you're like me trying to get up the old screens. Tapping here and there and everywhere and nothing happens. From now on it should be even faster checking out at the self-checkouts. 


@gardenman  what I also like about the new self-check out registers is the "partial Payment" button.  I was doing some shopping for my self and a friend. Did hers first and paid and rather than stopping I continued and paid for mine. All her items were bagged seperately and so were mine. One receipt and she was able to see exactly how much she paid.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,313
Registered: ‎03-28-2010
@ calminheart

Yes there may be Walmart associates on gov't assistance and a higher # than McDonald's employees; there are Many Many more Walmart associates than McDonald's employees so when you take percentages of ppl employed vs ppl on assistance, you have to remember the difference in company size.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,049
Registered: ‎04-03-2016

Unfortunately a review of police reports in our area indicates how much theft goes on daily at Walmart, both going through self-checkout and completely avoiding checkout.  Its so disheartening to see how rampant theft is.