Respected Contributor

It's been slowly happening over the past few years, but from just last week when I shopped they are down to only 4 checkout aisles with a person to check you out. They've put in all new self check aisles. I'm an early bird so I usually had to check my stuff myself anyhow as that was all that was available. My sister goes later in the day and complains about the long lines for checkouts with people as she doesn't like to self check. I spoke to the lady who overlooks the self checks in case siomeone needs help and she said for them, it's all different and they don't even know how to work them if there is an issue as they've gotten no instruction. 

Honored Contributor

I wish stores would pay me what they used to pay cashiers since I'm doing their job.

Super Contributor

I honestly prefer self checkouts.  I hated going through lines with checkers who asked questions about how I was doing or were super slow, or worst of all the ones who would stop while checking to look at something I was buying and say things "wow I love this, where did you find this" or "I use this all the time too" etc.  

Maybe I'm in the minority though.

Honored Contributor

I stopped years ago spending my money at Walmart. Checking myself out with a cart FULL of their stuff albeit groceries or other stuff is something I refuse to do. I don't get paid to do their work nor does the store offer a percentage off my bottom line for doing the work others got a paycheck for.

How dare they take away jobs from all the checkers they used to employ. I think it's quite a shame that such a large retain store treat their employees like this. Did they keep all of these employees and move them to other areas of their stores? I don't really know but I do hope so. We were never really Walmart regulars but I know many people are. The store we would go to is HUGE and had MANY checkout lanes with employees working them.  

If Corporate Walmart thinks this is the right way to treat their employees, I do not need to shop at a place like this.

Respected Contributor

I use the self checkout in Walmart and other stores.  I don't buy tons of merchandise at one time.  I live alone.  I am fine with the procedure as it is fast now that I am familiar with the way it's  done. 

Respected Contributor

I love self checkouts.  I can bag my items carefully and then they are undamaged and organized for unloading at home.

My little Walmart has long time employees that are very friendly and helpful too.  There is always at least one at the self checkouts to help us if needed.  I have become friendly with several of them and we always chat a bit if it  is not too busy!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor
Most stores have multiple self checkouts and have for many years now.

Walmart pays their employees very low wages, and they are known for very poor labor practices.
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

I prefer to be checked out and I hope I am preserving the few cashier positions.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I stopped years ago spending my money at Walmart. Checking myself out with a cart FULL of their stuff albeit groceries or other stuff is something I refuse to do. I don't get paid to do their work nor does the store offer a percentage off my bottom line for doing the work others got a paycheck for.

How dare they take away jobs from all the checkers they used to employ. I think it's quite a shame that such a large retain store treat their employees like this. Did they keep all of these employees and move them to other areas of their stores? I don't really know but I do hope so. We were never really Walmart regulars but I know many people are. The store we would go to is HUGE and had MANY checkout lanes with employees working them.  

If Corporate Walmart thinks this is the right way to treat their employees, I do not need to shop at a place like this.

I heard straight from more than one employees' mouths that no one has lost jobs. They have relocated them to do the personal shopping for online pick up orders. They are called pickers. I buy a ton of groceries each week. Last week's haul was close to $200. I did it all online, and an employee brought it out to my car and loaded it into the vehicle. I have used their online pick up service since Covid, and I will never go back to shopping in a store for the majority of my groceries. I do occasionally buy some produce and most of our meat at a couple of locally owned stores, but those are small purchases that aren't difficult to check out myself or carry.

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

I honestly prefer self checkouts.  I hated going through lines with checkers who asked questions about how I was doing or were super slow, or worst of all the ones who would stop while checking to look at something I was buying and say things "wow I love this, where did you find this" or "I use this all the time too" etc.  

Maybe I'm in the minority though.

@pinkcrystal  Agree with all you said.  You're not in the minority.  I always check out myself wherever there are self checkouts.  I can keep an eye on the prices and know where in the bag my stuff is.  I don't want to carry on a conversation while doing so.