Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I haven't used a service like this yet, as I really love grocery shopping.

But I'm so glad it is available from so many places now. There are so many people who will find this service not only convenient, but many more that will find it necessary at some points in their lives.

@software Hope all goes well with your first order, and I too, hope your health issues are soon a thing of the past, and that even if you never want to grocery shop for yourself again, you are feeling able to do so!

There are some days when I do feel like shopping, but it's rare now.   So this is a great blessing for me, at least for now.

Thanks for the kind words

Honored Contributor

I started ordering on line at my local Harris Teeter grocery store.  I pick and time and drive up.  They are loaded into my car.  I then text the kid next door (whom I've set up a time with) and he comes over and brings them inside.

Since I have bad knees and back I've had to do this.  It works out great.  I have two cats and that cat litter and bottled water is terribly heavy, then throw in the cans of cat food, etc.  

It's just easier this way.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart Groceries

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio it's great and will only get better with time.  We all get a cold or the flu, have a foot, knee or some kind of surgery and just can't go to the store for a week or two.  I'm happy it's offered for such times.  

Heck, with online banking, food delivery,  people working from home, pretty soon no one will leave the house aymore....lol. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Be a good thing around Xmas time when you have to listen to Mariah Carey singing 'Santa baby' and kids screaming .

For the most part I don't want to get that lazy till I get to old to walk the store and pick my own food, etc.   I enjoy getting out of the house, have time to myself. My cellphone is always off. I want to concentrate and hear myself think.

Honored Contributor

I often wonder about these type of grocery services. Do they shop like I do? Do they scrounge through and end up reaching way in the back to find the best date in refrigerated items? Will they pick the best fruit or vegetable on my list? Will they buy the item on sale that is next to the regular priced item? Sure it may be a convenience for some but grocery shopping for me is a highly acquired skill that I won't trust a stranger doing for me. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2

I feel the same way but I realized that I don't buy fresh produce from WalMart very often so that would not be an issue. The things I buy from WM don't need to be examed to pick the best one.

But I don't think I buy all that much at once and, as mentioned previously, I get other things in addition to groceries, so I'm not likely to use this service. 

Honored Contributor

A midwest grocery chain (Hy-Vee) offers online grocery shopping with a choice of pick up at a store or delivery.  

Until last winter, each store received and shopped their own orders.  I was one of the shoppers and it was somewhat enjoyable.  But there was a lot of stress since pick up times could include 20 or 1 person.  If a lot wanted to pick up their groceries at the same time, it was difficult to get them all shopped on time.   

Since winter, we have one central distribution center doing all the shopping.   They deliver orders that customers want to pick up to the store chosen by the customer.  They deliver those that want home delivery.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Our local Giant Store as well as Walmart has this service.  I have never used it but I am trying to talk a family member into trying it.

she is the elderly person who fell, broke her hip and lived with me for 9 months until she was well enough to go to her home.  She makes lists and I go to the store for her, but about once a month, she talks me into taking her so she can shop.  Her mind isn't all that great and it is very trying for me.  She wants to buy things she doesn't need ( I have to put things back when she isn't looking) and she runs out of money and I usually end up paying out $50 or so each time.

i took her last week and spent three hours in the store with her.  I had my granddaughter with me and she missed lunch.  I had to buy GD lunch at the store and she ate it in their cafe area.  Then when i took family member  home, I carried all of those groceries in and put them away for her. She was exhausted and in pain from being on her feet for so long, It was after 6 pm when I got home.

Please let me know how on line shopping went. It sounds appealing to me as I would rather not spend three hours in the grocery store.

@Carmie  What a generous, kind, and patient friend you are.  (and considerate grandmother Smiley Happy )!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I love grocery shopping, wish I could say that about housework.  I'll continue to do it myself as long as I can either walk or navigate one of those zip carts.  (broken ankle, knee replacement, so I'm very familiar with the carts). 

Trusted Contributor

I have used Shop Rite from Home pick-up a couple of times. They charge $10 to shop for you (but each time I have used the service I had either a coupon to waive the fee or they gave me a credit for the fee due to a prior error made).

I like the convenience of having them shop for me. They do call to go over your order prior to pickup and ask/advise about items that are out of stock (and offer subs of better products) and you can tell them (when ordering on line and when they call to confirm your order) any specifics that you want for each item. (for example, if I order a half gallon of non fat milk I will note that they must select one with a best by date of at least one week out from the day of my pick-up/ same thing for bread).  So far they have followed any supplemental instructions I gave them.

That said, there have been a few problems. Once I was charged for an item that I ordered but they did not give me. Another time they offered a sub for an item that was out of stock which I agreed to but instead of charging the price for the out of stock item, they charged full price for the sub. And on my last order, I decided to order some produce, (I was concerned about this so I had not ordered produce from them before) and they gave me a carton of strawberries that were supossed to be Driscolls and were not and they were so ripe that some went bad the following day. (all of the rest of the produce that I ordered - tomato, lettuce, peaches- was perfect). All of these problems were fixed with a refund of the item and waiver of the $10 shopping fee.

Wegmans in my area just started this service, so I think that they next time I decide to do this I will try ordering from them. My local Walmart does not do this yet.